Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

Problem starting the season with 2006 STX-12F

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Exclamation Problem starting the season with 2006 STX-12F

Alright to start this off, I am not the mechanical genius. In fact I'm VERY amateur, keep that in mind when trying to explain things to me. Thanks!

That said:
At the end of the last season we decided, instead of paying to have our local marina winterize and store it for us, we could winterize it and store it in our cottage's garage. So we took the oil out, took the battery out, and put stabilizers in the gas. A few weeks ago we first got it out. We took it and topped of the gas, put in oil, and put the battery back in. When we got it in the water it started reasonably well, however it felt like there was more vibration than I remembered it having, I'm still not sure if this was imaginary or not. Anyways I took it for a small lap at about 30 and it felt fine. Then I decided to start giving it more gas. While I worked my way up to full throttle it seemed reluctant, but I assumed it was just warming up. I took it in, not sure whether or not to be concerned. We came back a few weeks in row to find it still giving us problems. It had really odd acceleration, like if you were to try going full throttle from idle, it would only give you like 30mph instead of the usual 55ish, then suddenly jump up to full power. It would also randomly lose RPMs , especially on turns where it felt like either the transmission or throttle was having problems. It also died on us while we were riding and at idle.

Without a chance to really investigate thoroughly (like I would be able to figure out what was wrong) my dad decided to buy new sparks for. I have no idea whether or not they'll help.

Any advice?
Do you think its something we did wrong in winterizing it? Has it just taken four weekends to warm up? Is it throttle or transmission? Something completely different? Whatever you think it is, what can I do to help/fix it completely, without needing to get it serviced?
A reply by Friday or Saturday would be hugely appreciated! (That's when we go up next and plan on putting the sparks in) THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Have you cleaned the carbs? There should be a step by step in your manual for cleaning and servicing them yourself, its a typical issue after storage and not too hard to do as long as you remember where everything goes. Let us know if it helps.

Welcome to KF!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

part of winterizing is draining the fuel from the bowls. You have some gunk in there messing with the slow speed circuit most likely.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I would try the new plugs and see how it goes, this model is fuel injected and there is a filter in line near the pump so might be a good idea to remove it and have a look to see if there is any crap in there..

Type of plugs that should be in there are NGK CR9EK set at 0.7 - 0.8mm

Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by crazybass
I would try the new plugs and see how it goes, this model is fuel injected and there is a filter in line near the pump so might be a good idea to remove it and have a look to see if there is any crap in there..

Type of plugs that should be in there are NGK CR9EK set at 0.7 - 0.8mm

hahaha, ^ what he said sounds better! lol Good luck on the fix.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member

not sure if you should have drained the oil.......... I do an oil change but I don't drain; it make more room for moisture.

ALso check the intake before the filter for animal nests..... Bee's, mouse, and small birds.

Last edited by wedge; 05-28-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I did not catch that until you mentioned it wedge. I agree, keep the oil in the ride while winterizing.

So we took the oil out,