Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

HARD STARTING

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Default HARD STARTING

I have recently purchase a 1999, STX1100. It has to crank for about 15 sec. before it will start. After that it starts immediately and runs great: although it idles a little rough. Can I put a primer bulb(like in my outboard motor) in the line from the tank to the carburators. How does this affect the oil injection? Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Default RE: HARD STARTING

If you install a primer kit, it would inject a raw fuel ONLY, no oil, unless you run pre-mixed oil all the time. However, I don't think it really would hurt the engine since you are just using it to start the eninge. It all depends how much raw fuel is injected by the primer.

The better or more correct way is to fix the problem. Here is what I would do. Synchronize the 3 choke plates, block the hole on the choke plate, make sure choke is held closed when you turn it on, and, most importantly, you need to open the throttle about 1/2 way while cranking. As soon as it pops. Close the choke 1/2 way and WOT and crank it. This is the best technique to use on all cold blooded Kawi skis that have the cold-hard starting problem.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:02 AM

Thanks meangreenman, I will try your starting technique soon. I wouldn't have thought that opening the throttle while cranking would do the trick but I definitely will try it. My choke plates are syncronized and they are closed pretty snug. About how many seconds of cranking before the engine pops is normal?

Old 08-30-2006, 12:50 AM

I would crank for 5 seconds, then wait 5 seconds, then crank again and so on. You don't want to crank too long because starter motor draws lots of amperage and it can become hot quickly and burn up the coils. On a very cold engine, I would expect the engine to pop in a 2nd or 3rd try. It all depends how long the fuel would take to reach the combustion chamber...

Opening the throttle while while cranking...
If you don't open the throttle, there is no air getting pulled in and no venturi effect and no fuel would get sucked up either, because choke plates are all closed as well. That's why you need to open up the throttle 1/2 way in order to create the vacuum pulse. Remember, you ski has a vacuum pulse operated pump not an electric type. This is all assuming that rest of your ski is in a sound good condtion. By the way, you compression should be around 120 +/- 10 psi or so.