KLX250 Hard Starting

Old 03-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Default KLX250 Hard Starting

Question, I just had a Two Brothers pipe installed and my dealer claims that they rejeted my carb and modified my air box, only problem now I'm havingis a little hard starting, I need to get back with them to find out exactly what was changed in the carb but it acts like its rich when starting ? Has anyone
experiencedthis after they installed a pipe ? and does anyone have any goodrecommendations ?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX250 Hard Starting

Are you leaving it a few days and then trying to start it? Read this. Try it before heading back to the shop. Let us know what happens.

This is the original thread for hard starts. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_96672/tm.htm

Here is the basic information.

Shut down procedure.

1. After riding as you are pulling into your driveway, or to speed things up you can do this a block from your house, turn off the gas.
2. Let the bike run until it actually dies from gas starvation, (this may take 2-5 minutes) But that's ok it will give you time to put away your gear.
3. Park it and now you're ready for the next time you ride whether that be in a day, or a month.

Start up procedure.

1. Turn on the gas
2. Wait for 10 seconds
3. Start the bike as you always do

Now I know some of you are asking why not just drain the bowl and then you can start the bike. Well there are two reasons. It it harder to drain the bowl by hand than to let the bike do this as it runs out of gas, and by running the gas out using the motor, it assures that all of the small areas that would otherwise still have this junk they call fuel will be empty, ready for fresh, (fresher) gas to get in and do its job. Now all of that being said, I came up to work yesterday to let my son ride the moped up on the lawn and I cranked on the bike for a few minutes, and then I thought I wonder if I can drain the bowl and do the "after thought" procedure to get this thing going? Well I drained the bowl, turned the gas back on and two kicks and it was running. Keep in mind that the moped is a two stroke, and it has been sitting up at work in a mechanical room for about 2 months. So either way, whether running the gas out using the motor so you are ready to go next time (which I think is faster and more efficient) or you drain the bowl using the screw at the bottom of the carb, the results are the same, you get your bike started.

And I even guess some people would say that this is a hassle, but I gotta tell you that cranking on a bike for 5 minutes off and on only to run the battery down and still have not started the bike is way more of a hassle than a little time taken to get ready for the next ride. This last summer I rode my bike everyday for about 3 months, and it always started right up, but there are a couple of reasons. one it was warmer out, cold weather affects fuels in a negative way, and more importantly by riding the bike everyday I had gas in the bowl that didn't have enough time to "change". Next summer I will probably go back to leaving the gas on and not draining the bowl. but on the wife's bike the procedure will always be to run it out of gas since she doesn't ride as often as I do.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey wait!! That was your first post. You gotta introduce yourself and tell us what you ride. I mean we can assume since you are posting in the KLX 250S section that you must be riding one. Whats up?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanks and you are correct, I just picked upone of theseused, I love the bike and it was all fine until I modified it, I understand what your saying but I would rather have it where I could ride it into my garage and shut it off then come out the next day or in a few days and it will start, it seemed to start fine when it was stock ? I'm sure its something they did when they rejetted my carb, I'm going to try what you suggested and see if that helps but I think after verifiying that it will start after running out the bike out of gasI will return to my dealer and ask him what he did, thanks deej forthe help

Old 03-27-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

No seriously, if you've left it for some time, deej is bang on. This is a problem for all of us. Run the carb bowl dry if the bike is going to sit.

That said... You might have an additional problem caused by incorrect jetting - that can't be ruled out.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome, and there is no rhyme or reason to why some bikes start every time even after sitting for days, weeks or even months. A friend of mine has a 2003 Yamaha XT 225 and his dad has the 2004 Yamaha TW 200, and the 200 starts every time, no matter how long it sits. But the 225 if it sits for more than a couple of days won't start for nothing. Same thing with my wife's 2006 Yamaha XT 225. Trust me I have tried it both ways and its conclusive. I do have a question. Before you modded the bike, did you ride it everyday? Then after the mods did the bike sit for a few days? I'm trying to find a pattern that would eliminate the shop work.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 PM

Thanks guys for your advice, I going to play around with this a little because you have given me some good direction, I will let you know what I come up with, also answer to deej's question before mods this unit sometimes will sit over the weekdays and I was able to go out there and hit the starter after 5 days and it would fire right up, thats why I'm scratching my head a little on this. Thanks again and I'll be back,

Old 03-28-2007, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok Deej. here's your testimony:

My bike was winterized and sat for almost 3 months in the garage. Part of the winterizing included filling the tank, putting stabilizer in the gas, then letting the engine run itself dry with the fuel valve off.During those 3 months, for week after week, it was colder than a witch's ... well, you know what part of a witch's anatomy I'm refering to. Today, I turned on the fuel valve, waited about 15 seconds, pulled the choke, and didn't even have to hold the starter for more than 2 seconds before it was running.If Deej's tried and true STBNMW* procedure will work for me, I'm sure it will work for you, too!

Sincerely,

Mike
(a.k.a. "YYY-GUY", a.k.a. "Wise Guy")

* STBNMW = "Start The Bitch ... uh, Bike No Matter What"

Old 03-28-2007, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

hey kingocean, I had forgot to run the fuel out of the carb last week and I had a heck of a time starting it too. I had also left the tank mostly empty with the bike outside for 5 days. I cranked it until the battery ran out. Then hooked my deep cycle trolling motor battery to the bike battery. I kept cranking it on and off for a hour. It still didn't start. So I figured I had to get dirty. I put a little Heat in the gas tank (fuel treatment that will take water out of the tank from being left outside). Then I pulled the air cleaner off and sprayed some carb cleaner into the carb. I waited another 5 min for the carb cleaner to take effect. It started right up after that. If you are still having problems starting it then you may want to try what I did.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

gomerpile - did you try draining the float bowl first?
There's a drain screw that will drain the bowl, and then it will fill with fresh gas from the tank.
Usually this does the trick. Squirting accelerant in the air intake is a semi-dangerous thing...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KLX250 Hard Starting