General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wobbly GPZ 900

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Default Wobbly GPZ 900

I have a `94 GPZ 900, had it for 3 years now, and I love it!
When I bought it there was some imbalance in the steering, the seller, and I blamed the old front tires, after some months I changed the front tire, and the ball bearings in the front, this made it slightly worse better, then much worse.. and a year later the back tire and had the front wheel balanced (not quite sure the proper english word for it). This made the bike scary to ride!! A slow speeds, below 10mph when i turn it feels like I`m driving over gravel, at 20-30Mph the bike is fine, at 40Mph (or 70Kmh) I really must use both hands, if I try to scratch my nose the steering starts to wobble more and more. at speeds aboe 50Mph (80 Kmh) The steering is tight and I can let go of the steering all togheter..

Maybe it`s worth mentioning that the front brakes discs is old and does tend to grip uneven..

I hope someone may have an idea what could be causing all this

Old 08-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

eir, welcome to the forums. The short answer is, all SORTS of things could be causing your problem. (Has the bike been crashed before?) It could be something as simple as a warped rotor(s), wheel alignment, bent wheel rim, uneven fork height, bad/loose/improperly torqued headstock or wheel bearings, bad/worn swingarm-to-frame mounting (missing bushings?), or as complex as bent frame, bent headstock, bent forks, etc. Take measurements and double-check your geometry.
Are you running the same type of tire front and rear? (Some tires will NOT work together, but I don't think this is your issue.)
I'd start with the bearings (headstock, wheel, etc.) and get a replacement rotor(s). Are your rotors torqued to the hub evenly? Are the calipers and brakes properly torqued and functioning correctly? If you MUST use both hands when you ride, you're riding a time bomb. Get it fixed. Keep us updated; glad to offer suggestions and help.
Welcome, again. GEAR UP and stay safe.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I think that Jeff has it dead nuts. I would however check the fork fluids first and make sure that rider sag is set. See where that ends you at, then of course follow what jeff mentioned. You can check the head stock by rocking the bike with the front brakes on to kind of see if there is any rocking/slop of the front end.

Welcome to KF

edit: moved