General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

85 gpz/zx 900 a2 votage issues help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Default 85 gpz/zx 900 a2 votage issues help!

It started off with the headlight acting funny a few days ago. Goingbright and so forth when I pull th clutch. Then I had temporary turn signal issues. yesturday all of my consul lights went out I.E. neutral light, rpm guage, etc. Then it would not start. Jumped the battery and got home just in time to shut off again. Charged the battery last night but will not run if I unhook the negative cable. I was told it was the votage regulator but I am open to suggestions. I do get alot of blowby from the air filter box which in turn leaks down onto the wires below it. I would very much appreciate any helpful advice.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 85 gpz/zx 900 a2 votage issues help!

What did you jump the battery with? FYI a motorcycle should NOT be jumped with a car battery due to the difference in the current i.e. the CCA. However in emergencies it is ok.

Was it just your front signals having trouble? The first thing I would do is check and clean all the electrical terminals in the front of the bike behind the headlight etc...What you described with the clutch could simply be the cable flexing and pushing on some connections...but don't get your hopes up. Check fuses. make sure none of the wire stripping is gone and touching metal (i.e. a short) I had this problem with an old kz650 that kept blowing fuses...a wire was hanging down to low and got ate up by the chain, but I couldn't see it. it would run find until I sat on it and the wire touched metal and shorted out. Check all your wiring.

Can you describe the blowby in a little more detail? Also, if you have a friend that has a good battery, swap it out to see if that might be the problem. Start with all the simple less costly things and troubleshoot your way into the bigger issues such as the regulator. I have bought components before when i didn't need to because i didn't check all the little obvious things.

Good luck