General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Where to buy replacement engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Default Where to buy replacement engines

Hello everyone Im new on here but i have a 2004 KX250F and i recently blew the engine on it. I am looking where to buy an replacement engine rather than going through the dealer. If you guys would please let me know where to get one! Thanks everyone!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

You can see if Kaw sells them. But there is no doubt in my mind you can tear down and replace the broken parts in your bike unless you put the rod through the cases.

A whole engine includes the gear box - expensive.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

+1 to above. give us more detail

Old 04-16-2014, 05:53 AM

thanks for the welcome! well when i was riding at the track about a few months ago I did this 40' tabletop and i think I may have over reved in the air and when I landed the bike just shut off. The kick starter wont kick its basically stuck in the up position. I am thinking I may have mangled the valves possibly. I haven't tore into it yet due to me finishing my rx7 as one of my other projects but the weather has been so nice out here in colorado want to start riding again!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 AM

and forgot to mention that say i put it into gear like 1st and rock it back and forth then try to kick it it will kick but then when I try to kick again it wont budge until I rock it back and forth again. So I am quite puzzled

Old 04-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Tearing it apart is free....oh and welcome to the forums.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by deej
Tearing it apart is free....oh and welcome to the forums.
haha right! ya Im going to tear into it this weekend. I have finals coming up and lots of HW this week to be ready for them. Ill post some pictures of the progress

Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Still it will be cheaper to buy parts and rebuild versus trying to buy a new engine. The "new engine" thing is a bit of a throw back to the car thing. A crate engine, a long block, or short block are not unusual, but they don't have a clutch and transmission with them.

Now maybe not if you buy a used bike with an engine, possibly a wrecked frame, but good engine.

I hope you find it's something simple. Remember this is a small engine. Everything should come apart easily. If not odds are there is a special tool puller required to get the part off properly, like popping off the ignition rotor. If your engine cases don't split easily look again for a screw/bolt you forgot to remove. They're pretty skillful at sticking fasteners in the weirdest places. I had a shift return spring break on my KLX650. Four of five fasteners came out unobstructed. The fifth was hidden behind the inner stator cover. I had to pull the outer cover/windings, then have the mechanic at the shop where I used to work pull the stator rotor with a special puller tool, a bigass 1/2 drive impact, and a bigass hammer to get the inner cover off... just to get to one allen bolt! The sad part - they could have rearranged the fastener locations to make it come off without any other disassembly... stupidity in engineering.

Last edited by klx678; 04-16-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:05 AM

well I did dig into the bike today, and first off im retarded I didnt catch me writing 04 its a 06 kx250f. sorry about that haha. But i did pull the head off and found that the intake came retainer snaped and caused a valve to break as well. I pulled the cylinder out as well and it still has the factory cross hatching and even the piston still looks great! The head is ruined it ground down one of the oil jackets on where the cam sits. SO I am in need of a head if anyone has one for cheap so I can get this thing running soon. I drained the oil and had no metal flakes in the engine. Ill probably pull the clutch covers and oil housing cover to make sure no bits dropped to the bottom end as well.

Attached Thumbnails Where to buy replacement engines-kx3.jpg   Where to buy replacement engines-kx2.jpg   Where to buy replacement engines-kx1.jpg