General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

trouble! unusual problem? bike wouldn't start during ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Default trouble! unusual problem? bike wouldn't start during ride

Hi everyone, I'm new here but was a little concerned with something on my bike.

I have a 99 ninja zx6r;has started and ran great ever since I bought it. After this winter it seemed like it needed more juice to start it up. One time I actually had to switch the fuel from on to reserve just to get it going. I took it out for about a 30 mile ride and stopped to get gas. I went to start it and it would just turn over but would never catch. I did this until the battery finally started dying. I called a buddy and jumped it from his car, and it started up as fast as any old day last year. Just started right up. I asked my local shop they thought maybe it was something in the carb or line that was just floating around and finally got caught somewhere when I stopped for gas. I am not very mechanically inclined but with a manual I could clean my carbs rather then paying a shop to do it. My question is what would be the best and cheapest ways to hopefully stop this problem so that I am not stranded like this again...? Could it be the battery even though it seems to hold a charge pretty well and the bike seemed to turn over fine? Thank you so much!

Nik

Old 04-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: trouble! unusual problem? bike wouldn't start during ride

you can take the tank off and tru to flush it out, pull the fuel tube off and replace it and then do a carb cleaning and see if it presists.