Help....Cut off During ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Default Help....Cut off During ride

Hey all, need your help.I have a 92 zx7. I was on the highway enjoying the ride, and just out of nowhere my bike just bogged down and died out on me. I got it started and thought maybe it was low on gas, had a half tank, got going again and it did the same thing . I put new plugs in, it has a new battery, just put a new ignition switch on. I thought maybe the coils are going bad, so I get it home and put a test light on the coils to make sure it was getting power, when I touched one prongwith the test light, it cut off completely.anyone have this problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Help....Cut off During ride

the coils are (i'm pretty sure) a high voltage input from the ECU.

i don't think they receive 12V.. i think its a few hundred.. never metered mine yet tho.. don't wanna lie to ya.

the bogging/die thing tends to usually be that little resistor in the keyswitch, or the connection TO it.. but since you've gotten yourself a new one.. i doubt the 6V feed to the ECU is bad..

Hmm... sounds like fuel starvatin almost.. otta have 1.2-2.3 or so PSI of fuel... can't remember the delivery rate tho..

i have heard that the coils are a weak point on our bikes.. the very best way to test that kinda stuff is just to meter it out and compare the ohmic values against the tolerance range outlined in your manual (if you have one..)
if you don't have a manual.. theres a link somewhere around here drag posted and stickied with hundreds of em for free..

keep us posted man!

oh and welcome to KF, and DAMN.. that bike is gorgeous..

Old 04-15-2008, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Member

sounds like you are getting restricted flow of gas into the carb bowls.. its enough flow to fill em up when you are going slow but as the rpms climb you are using more gas than is flowing to the carbs so they empty out. check fuel filter, fuel inlet screen in tank, and pump.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:39 PM

should the pump run continuously or just enough to fill the bowls? Also I'm running 39mm flatslides, is a highflow petcock necessary for these. Don't think that's the problem, just wondering if it will make a difference. Thanks for all the help, and the props on the bike!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

petcock shouldn't be a problem

Old 04-15-2008, 05:13 PM

do you have the link to the manuals...would love to have one?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Ok, I changed the coils and found out that one of my plug wires was bad, it was craked at the top of the boot and arching against the top of the motor. changed the bad wire and it fired up. but if I let it idle it still cuts off, fires back up with no problem, test rode it and no problems, but if i just sit and idle, it will shut off. Does this sound like the fuel pump? I haven't noticed it running, but wasn't sure if it should run constantly or just enough to fill the bowls. Any Ideas?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

so it doesn't cut off when riding, only when idling?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Yeah just when I let it idle. I have to stay on the gas a lil to keep it running at a stop. But once I'm going it's no problem.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

what rpm is it idling at? have you tried turning up the idle?

Quick Reply: Help....Cut off During ride