General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replaceing Oil level sight glass.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Default Replaceing Oil level sight glass.....

Replaceing the oil level sight glass on my 2007 Ninja 250R

I need help on how to do this and if i can get pics that would help allsoon doing this.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Replaceing Oil level sight glass.....

Why?
If it's because the bike went down and skidded on it's side (somehow) messing-up the cover, I'd get a new cover.
If it's a cosmetic surgery, I wouldn't go there.
If it's leaking, is the rest of the cover compromised? Bent, warped, ?

Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 PM

It is cracked and leaking oil the cover is ok i don"t know if it was a rock or what cracked it but every thing around it is ok but it leaks now, and the crack is all the way from side to side on the glass.

Thanks....

Old 11-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm p/n 52005 is showing for me. No other info on how it fits. What does your manual tell ya on assembly?

Old 11-17-2007, 05:48 PM

Yes I see the same part on kaws. web page but i have no manual and i have not found anything showing how to install it, on the kaws. web page it looks like it pops in and out ........

Old 11-18-2007, 06:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I have not found out in my manual either. Now I am curious on the how to! Looks like my 7's is press fit as well. Will look at my extra cover tomorrow to see. Does not help you much, but you got me to thinking about my rides.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Do you have aMANUAL I could Download our get. But I found a great sight called ninja 250 ridersclub I looked through it and found someone had the same problem with there sight glass,this sounds like it well work so i don't have to buy the hole cover cause it costs a lot more,cover is around $90.00 and the sight glass is only $10.00. hope this helps anyone that has the problem allso. This is what it says to do...

[*]Buy the part (get the part number from buykawasaki) Or whereyou like to get your parts from.[*]Note the relative position of your old glass before you remove it.[*]Don't forget to drain the oil. The sight glass is literally the only thing holding the oil in.[*]Take a small screwdriver and carefully remove all the remaining bits of glass.[*]Using the same screwdriver, remove the metal ring that held the old glass in. [/ul]
[*]Put new glass in the freezer for several hours.[*]Remove glass from freezer, completely coat it with fresh oil, and VERY CAREFULLY, drive it into the case, using a small socket to spread the force of the impact(s) onto the metal rim of the glass. [/ul]
Caveats
[*]Be VERY careful, otherwise the new glass will crack, too. Very soft, light taps should get it in there.[*]Don't push too hard on the clutch cover; it's cast aluminium.[*]It might not be a bad idea to have a piece of pine or other soft wood around for impact absorption. (ie... to tap on)[*]If this is done during cold weather, you should consider leaving the bike overnight in a heated garage before trying to install. This, along with freezing the new glass, will help make the fit less stubborn. It's a simple compression fit; there are no bolts holding it on. Warming up the engine in the garage will help expand the metal and make the fit easier.[*] Thanks..............[/ul]