Milky substance on oil sight glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Milky substance on oil sight glass

Well as the title states I just looked at my sight glass last night and there was this milky substance on the inside of the glass. As I tipped it up strait and the oil started filling the glass it had verry little effect on the white stuff and it stayed on the glass. Any ideas? I change my oil more aften than needed and I use the standard 10w40. I haven't switched to synthetic yet but prob the next change. But what would this be? Has anyone seen this before? 2010 with 1800km. Oh and to add the bike just came back from its first good long run since sitting all winter.

On another note, can I switch strait over to synthetic or some kind of graduall change over?

Last edited by seth6025; 03-30-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Is your coolant level low? That's a sign of coolant and or water in the engine oil. Ride through any really deep water holes? If not you might want to check your head gasket, or any associated o-rings.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:17 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Same type thread going on two posts down with "Water in Oil" by Tyler SC. Are you guys sure you're not getting condensation at the sight glass? If you drive the bike at full operating temp for a little bit and still have that milkly look, then you have something to worry about.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya I was just reading that post...have not been through any water holes and the bike was for sure at opperating temps. The oil itself came into the glass black but the milky stuff was stuck right on the inside of the glass....don't think it was any type of fog or condinsation. And coolant level is normal

Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by seth6025
Ya I was just reading that post...have not been through any water holes and the bike was for sure at opperating temps. The oil itself came into the glass black but the milky stuff was stuck right on the inside of the glass....don't think it was any type of fog or condinsation. And coolant level is normal
I think it's condensation. However, it only takes about a quart and a half to guarantee it for sure. Dump that oil in a clean, dry pan. I'll bet you won't see that milkiness throughout the oil like you should if you actually have a coolant leak into the oil. If the oil is clean, dump it back in.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, thanks for the advise TNC. Think you have helped me out quite a bit since I joined and it is appreciated.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I have owned many Kawasaki's with a sight glass(new and used) and noticed it on several.More than likely just condensation and nothing to worry about.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok well I drained my oil and it looked fine, so it must of been condinsation on the glass...so thats good news.

As for synthetic can I just switch over to it or is there any rules im suppose to follow as in a gradual change or a certain number of km's on the motor before I do the switch? And is 20w50 the perfered choice in the synthetic that I should get?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:46 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by seth6025
Ok well I drained my oil and it looked fine, so it must of been condinsation on the glass...so thats good news.

As for synthetic can I just switch over to it or is there any rules im suppose to follow as in a gradual change or a certain number of km's on the motor before I do the switch? And is 20w50 the perfered choice in the synthetic that I should get?
I won't even go into the abyss of sythetic vs. whatever debate...LOL!...but I think multivis oil that goes to the 50W range is not the best choice for the KLX. This is a relatively cool running bike, and Kawasaki probably picked the best range at 10W-40. I've seen 10W-50 and 15W-50 oils, and you could probably use those without ever noticing an issue, but there are probably way more unnecessary additives and enhancers to achieve that high number than the KLX will ever need. Oils are pretty darned good these days, and a quality 10W-40 is going to be more than sufficient for the KLX.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

On a modern engine you can switch to synthetic anytime, switch back, mix oils, it doesn't matter. Just don't use "energy conserving" oil.

Quick Reply: Milky substance on oil sight glass