General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Prepping for a LONG ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the bike's ready to go. Carry a very basic tool kit, wet weather gear, a tyre plug kit, and a cell 'phone.

If you don't have a screen you might want to fit one. Sounds to me like your biggest issue will be planning fuel stops,but if you ride steady - say about 60 mph - (and you can ride at that speed on highways with faster traffic), then you should be able to get around 140 miles between fuel stops without eating too far into your reserves.

Try to plan for about 400 miles per day - 500 at the most, or you'll be knackered by the end of the ride.

Rob

Old 09-25-2010, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Thanks Rob. The bike came with a National Cycle bar mounted wind screem, factory owners manual and the original stock tool kit that I've added some items to. I did my "tests" with a full tank each time and I expect my mileage to go up again slightly. After a few fill ups at 100mi to get an average MPG number, I'm going to run till I have to use the reserve, just to get an idea of the range. Thing is, I found out if I ride out, not only will I have to put the bike up for the winter once I get there, it will cost me around $100 a month in storage. So my 2 options now are (assuming I get the job), park it in my sisters garage and ride out in the spring, or sell it. Seeing as how I intend to buy something bigger in the spring.......well it may go. Thank for your advice.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Update on the tach install. Took all of 20 minutes start to finish, and it was so easy I forgot to take pics. The unit is from Trail Tech and is a Tach/Hour meter ($47.99) and is very small. I used the optional ($14.99) bar mount to install it between the bar clamps. It's easy to read at a glace and fairly accurate, although it lacks back lighting, so I can't read it at night. On the highway at 55mph I'm turning around 7300rpm, around 7800rpm at 60mph and a little over 8100rpm at 65mph. Sounds high, and I thought it was at first, but the shop put a test tach on it to check the accuracy and other than the update rate, it's almost spot on. With the new +1 front sproket I still get around 55mpg on my riding to and from work, mostly because I ride a bit faster. I also find I need to pay more attention to throtle input to keep a constant speed more so than before. 1 big plus is that on longer trips my mileage has gone up quite a bit. On the past two weekends I rode 250 and 300 miles respectively and averaged 69mpg (250mi ride) and 67mpg (300mi ride) seeing a high of almost 72mpg on a 95mi non-stop stretch. Not bad for a 22 year old, 19,000 mile (now) bike. Now I have to decide if I store it for the winter or sell it now (can't take it with me to the new job).

Old 10-21-2010, 02:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Which resort in CA are you referring to? Depending on which one etc, just park it in the kitchen and do not play zoom zoom (motor revving in the room). lol, not good.

good luck on the decision. I am roughly 40 minutes from most of the resorts

Old 10-21-2010, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Mammoth Mountain, in Mammoth Lakes Dragone#19. Amd I copied and pasted this from the employee housing hand book , "This handbook is not designed to cover or state every rule that applies to you while living within our housing. Common sense items like not being allowed to store your motorcycle in your living room are not listed in this document. As a general rule, a resident's actions should be based on respect for others, the property and the environment." I guess someone had your idea before, although they don't say anything about the kitchen. I posted it on here but I have to add the price and it won't be available till the last week of November any way. After thinking about it a bit on the ride home from work tonight, I may take it off, keep it at my sisters. If they decide to keep me on after the winter, I'll have about 4 weeks off before the summer season begins, but they said they had skiable snow in late May last year. It seems like a pretty rare bike on the road now a days, and it would be good to start the collection with. Plus if I'm out there with my bike this summer, you can show me all the good roads to ride, still trying to get the chicken strips off the tires.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TyCobb2000
Mammoth Mountain, in Mammoth Lakes Dragone#19. Amd I copied and pasted this from the employee housing hand book , "This handbook is not designed to cover or state every rule that applies to you while living within our housing. Common sense items like not being allowed to store your motorcycle in your living room are not listed in this document. As a general rule, a resident's actions should be based on respect for others, the property and the environment." I guess someone had your idea before, although they don't say anything about the kitchen. I posted it on here but I have to add the price and it won't be available till the last week of November any way. After thinking about it a bit on the ride home from work tonight, I may take it off, keep it at my sisters. If they decide to keep me on after the winter, I'll have about 4 weeks off before the summer season begins, but they said they had skiable snow in late May last year. It seems like a pretty rare bike on the road now a days, and it would be good to start the collection with. Plus if I'm out there with my bike this summer, you can show me all the good roads to ride, still trying to get the chicken strips off the tires.
I forsee a ride in the future. I am not scared of Wet Riding, lets plan a ride.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

So the clutch cable snapped again and with 2 weeks of work left. Not worth it to fix for 2 weeks and put into storage, so I'm selling it this week end to make up for the lost pay (sucks nuts), to the first guy with cash. Come spring I'm looking for a "new" bike, a Concours or a older ZX-6 that I can put bags on and turn into a decient sport tourer. But assuming I get an offer to work the summer season at Mammoth, Dragone#19, I'll have something to ride if we get together. I'll keep in touch and post from time to time.