How long is too long?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default How long is too long?

We've been discussing the occasional laying down ofour Beloved Klx. Last time I layed her down, She stayed running and was picked back up within 2 seconds. What are the dangers of running while on the side and how long is too long? I've read that you should hit the kill switch every time but always forget.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How long is too long?

Hey jerry. I dropped mine pretty hard on the left and a few times on the right in the mountains in lenoir nc. I usually ride in brown mountain ohv area. I have ran it through some of the thickest mud, through deep water( up to the seat) and It always ran after that. I have never gotten water into the oil or into the airbox bad enough to where it wouldnt keep on going. I layed it down in the mountains and the bike slid down about 10-15 feet and kept running till I got down the hill to stop it, about a minute on its side. With no problems. It has ran for over 2500 miles since then with no problems. I love this bike the only bike I think I would trade it for evenly is a 09 red klx But that is only bc the 09s are a lil shorter. Im 6'4" but I would still like it to be about 1/2 inch shorter without compromising the preload.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I ride almost exclusively off road so my bike is down at leastonce or twice, sometimes more, every ride. Each scenario is different. If the bike is still running after going down and I can safely get it up and going I will try and keep it running as I have a 300 with no electric start. I have had it down running for as long as a minute ortwo if I had to guess.Probably usually up within 30 seconds or so. If it looks like I can't safely get up and going in a timely manner I hit the kill switch if it is still running. If it looks like the bike is going to be on it's side for a while, I turn off the fuel at the tank until I can get it back up so gas doesn't keep running out of the carb.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

How bad does the gas come out? Only on one side or on both? Usually mine only runs out if I drop it to the left cause the carbs tilt slightly clockwise if your looking toward the front of the bike. eg the bottom leans left.

ORIGINAL: AgoosSS

I ride almost exclusively off road so my bike is down at leastonce or twice, sometimes more, every ride. Each scenario is different. If the bike is still running after going down and I can safely get it up and going I will try and keep it running as I have a 300 with no electric start. I have had it down running for as long as a minute ortwo if I had to guess.Probably usually up within 30 seconds or so. If it looks like I can't safely get up and going in a timely manner I hit the kill switch if it is still running. If it looks like the bike is going to be on it's side for a while, I turn off the fuel at the tank until I can get it back up so gas doesn't keep running out of the carb.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it can vary depending on which side and angle itis at. It has never really been a problem or something I worry too much about. When I had my CVK carb, a trick to get it started after a down and it's flooded is to turn off the gas at the tank and lay the bike over on the left side to drain the fuel out of the carb. Then turn the gas back on and it would usually fire right up.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh cool man. I didnt know u switched from the cvk carb. Do u still have the carb? I need a bowl for mine.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Only thing I could add is that, unlike Agoos, I have e-start so I try to hit the kill switch as quickly as possible because a kick is not required...lol

On the leaking fuel......I've not noticed a consistant pattern yet...sometimes leaks everywhere and you have to hit the petcock asap .....other times, nuthin.

Oh and I crash A LOT.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey fm U are here in s florida right? maybe we should get together for a ride. Lol i dont know of any really good sites here to ride but I am sure I can think of something. thats what I usually do. where do u live in fl?

Old 05-04-2008, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm in Jupiter where are you at? I like to ride the Scrub at least once a month, if possible. Is that close to ya,....sometimes we ride Croom but not much lately.....mostly Okeechobee.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Im in sarasota. Okeechobee is about 1.5 hours away. not too bad. all us here in s florida need to get together for a ride. maybe I should post a forum about getting together and see who is in for it. well see ya in there.

Quick Reply: How long is too long?