General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No crank Super Sherpa, starter/battery both good - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Default No crank Super Sherpa, starter/battery both good - need advice

Hello, I'm a new 2006 Super Sherpa owner. I bought both a perfectly working Sherpa and a "parts/project" bike that's from the same 2006 year. I want to learn mechanics as part of being a new rider, and I'm stuck with the project bike.

I replaced the battery and when I hit the electric starter I just hear a loud single "click". As if everything is trying to engage, but something is stuck. When I disconnected the Starter from the gears its connected to, and press the starter, I see and hear the starter spinning. So I know the starter is getting electricity and that its a good starter. I have also tried all of this with a known-good battery from the other bike. The problem is when I return the starter to the bike, the bike never cranks. My su****ion is that the bike is seized in some way, somewhere along the way the gears are stuck and unable to turn themselves over.

When I changed the oil, some water came out first, and then the oil came out looking like mud. Almost looked like chocolate, and had a bit of white in it. Regardless, I'm undettered in trying to at least get the bike to turn over.

By suggestion, I tried putting the bike in 5th and 6th gear and rocking it back and forth, and it seems to move fine. It moves just as well as having the clutch in.

Anyways... any insight into where I might check next to get things un-stuck?

Cheers,
Casey

Old 06-08-2017, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SuperSherpa2006
When I changed the oil, some water came out first, and then the oil came out looking like mud. Almost looked like chocolate, and had a bit of white in it.

I'm thinking that's the telltale to your problem. I'd suggest pulling the head off and have a look.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:12 PM

I have some more information from the previous owner that arrived last night... apparently a piece of the piston skirt broke off, scored the cylinder, and the piece is now sitting down in the crank case somewhere (likely causing the stuck gear somewhere). I'll have to take the engine out, replace the piston and cylinder, and find that broken part. Great first project... should learn a lot doing it.

Any advice?

Old 06-09-2017, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Take your time and be patient. I really know very little about the sherpa. Have a look on ebay you might find a complete good engine cheaper than rebuilding yours.

Lots of bits here http://stores.ebay.com/rpm-atv50?_dm...w=super+sherpa

Last edited by MaverickAus; 06-09-2017 at 01:11 AM.