General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ninja 250R height adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ninja 250R height adjustment

I need some help to adjust the height on my new 250 - I have it on the lowest suspension setting however I'm only 5' 1 and I can still only balance on one tip toe at a time. Probably not the safest??

Is there a part I can get to lower the bike even an inch or so? So long as I can at least touch my toes on both sides at the same time I'll feel safer.

I heard there's some linkage part or something that can be replaced to lower the bike.

Sorry this might be a really silly question to some, but it's my first bike so I don't know much about it yet!

Thanks,
Lisa

Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Not that I had a whole lot of reply... but NVM. I found the part I was looking for at Tri-City Cycle.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

setting the sag for your build is the first step. sometimes not cheaper initialy than two pieces of metal though.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you have a pair of motorcycle riding shoes? I recently bought some and it brought me up an 1/2 inch or 1 inch. I am 5 feet 9 inchs and i was a little upset that it brought to where my bike doesnt fit perfect now, but oh well.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Two points.

The suspension adjustment is to set the sag to suit the rider's weight - there should be a deflection of about an inch with the weight of rider and luggage on the bike. It shouldn't be used to alter the ride height. IF you do, it will affect the shock's ability to properly deal with bumps and potholes. Using links to lower the rear of the bike has a detrimental effect on the steering, making the bike slower into turns and less agile.

You only need to be able to put the ball of one foot on the ground, leaning the bike a bit if you need to. All the time the wheels are turning your right foot should be on the peg where it can easily press the rear brake.

Practise these: Riding at speeds varing between a slow walk and a fast walk. Keep the throttle constant and only use the clutch andrear brake to control and vary the speed.

Do five full lock to full lock figure eights, a u-turn, and five figure eights the other way. Use the skills from the first exercise to control speed. Both exercises are done feet up.

Practise braking to stop within three inches of a mark from about 30 mph. Pull the clutch in and hold it in. Use both brakes, but as you slow past walking speed ease the front brake and stop on the rear brake, putting the left foot down. As you slow, downshift so that you always have a gear engaged that matches the speed, but don't release the clutch.

Master these exercises and the skill and confidence that you get from them will stop you worrying about seat height. You'll find that you're perfectly comfortable with your reach.

Rob

Old 07-15-2009, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

When I'm walking my bike down the driveway I would like to be able to sit on the bike and go back. Instead I have to lift it from the side and back it down. I don't know which way is correct, but I'd like to be able to walk it backwards.

I have to lean to even reach on my tip toe - it really needs to go down at least an inch.

No on the riding boots, I've been riding in *shudder* my gym sneakers ( yeah, I know). I've looked at royal and they have crap - I guess I'll try Zedos but I don't even know of any other places in this area.

Thanks for the info,
Lisa

Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I have it on the lowest suspension setting however I'm only 5' 1 and I can still only balance on one tip toe at a time. Probably not the safest??
lets start again vanilla. What were your sag numbers. The "lowest suspension setting" for your ride is not a safe practice for a controlled ride. The how to's should still be listed in KF on suspension.