General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Kwikasfuki GPZ 550, loud sounds, hard to start, engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Georgi Vulchev
I have no idea to be honest, any way of checking for it :?

It will be in your manual. Normally has two vacuum lines to the #1 and #4 carb boots going to a large valve sitting ahead of the valve covers that then has maybe a 20mm diameter rubber hose split off to the valve covers with one large hose going back to the air box. It basically uses engine pressure/vacuum to send oil vapor back into the airbox to be re-burnt. (the jist of it)

Not saying that this is an issue with your ride, was just curious.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Nah.. my bike isn't as fancy as that All I got is a hose going from the 2nd carb to the fuel tank to get fuel pumping using the engines compression and vacuum.

As for the rockers I am pretty sure I got them right, I'll take you through the steps:
1. Put the rockers in the right orientation.
2. Adjust the 1st rocker using the EX line, to line up with the engine block pointing towards the exhaust pipes.
3. Adjust the 2nd rocker using the pin count method, in my case the Z/5 line goes in between 43/44 pin. The Z/5 line should also line up with the engine block pointing towards the carbs though.
4. Install the rockers completely by bolting them down.
5. Install the CCT ( cam chain tensioner ) and check for slack in the chain. Check the alignment of the rockers again relative to the engine block.

Let me know if you notice anything I shouldn't be doing.
I'm not saying that I couldn't have gotten something wrong there, but the bike has never started up so quickly.

Edit*
I think I figured what might be causing the racket. I'll check tomorrow and let you guys know.

Last edited by Georgi Vulchev; 04-29-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Nah still no luck...

I found a small washer in the Cam chamber which was bent. So yea I admit it I made a crucial, stupid mistake I forgot to inspect for any dirt and debrie before I closed it up. Thankfully no damage to anything, this time I took my time to do a thorough inspection. Also while I was down there I checked the timing again. The timing advancer was set to line T when the 1st cylinder is at TDC fire stroke, and everything else as described above. Checked if the bolts on the rockers are properly torqued... everything seems good.. why is it making that racket.

I closed everything up again and ran it. The sound still persists, opened it again checked again, nothing.... I am baffled. What could be causing this :? I believe it is coming from the rockers chamber, but I fail to find any clue to what it might be. ( of course I removed the washer after I found it and checked for any other things not in their place )

Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I believe it is coming from the rockers chamber, but I fail to find any clue to what it might be. ( of course I removed the washer after I found it and checked for any other things not in their place )
This engine is a shim under bucket configuration. A hard starting engine, timing or other engine clanks really makes me want to check the valve adjustment and timing. Let me look for the "T" on the advancer when cylinders #1 and #4 are at TDC in my manual.

edit: The mark is between the T and the C on the advancer from the looks in my manual.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll take a look when the sun comes up :]

Old 04-30-2013, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I found what the problem is. One of the valve buckets in the cam chamber is a bit raised compared to the others, which indicates probably what I feared a bent valve due to incorrect installation of the camshafts the first time around. Oh well you learn from your mistakes. Maybe a costly one but..what are you gonna do :/

Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh sorry for the late update ^^, but yeah that was the problem it was that bucket that was causing the racket. The shim under the bucket had come out of it's place and when ever the rockers where doing their job the bucket was clanking against the shim. So am it was really an easy fix ^^ I just had to push on the spring system that holds the valves and simply put the shim back in it's place. However the reason why it came out in the first place was because I was revving the engine too much ^^ I get excited when I'm happy and I tend to show it trough my driving . So yeah... thanks for the help folks I really appreciate it :]