General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Kwikasfuki GPZ 550, loud sounds, hard to start, engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Checked for wear on the pistons and the block, it feels like it's in really good condition. There is no movement ( rocking ) from side to side from the pistons and you can feel a nice sharp edge on the top of the cylinder. I've given them a good clean as well. All I need to do now is find the right gaskets for the cylinder head and the head gasket. Gonna look for something with relatively good quality and moderate price. :]

I'll upload more pics when I have the chance. :]

Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

That sharp edge is called a "ridge" and just confirms there is wear in the bores, which is completely normal for an engine that age. If you have the head off just have a look at the bores and check for scoring. That's vertical lines, especially ones you can feel with your fingernail. Those are bad. If everything is in reasonable order you shouldn't have those but it's worth checking if you have the opportunity.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

new head gasket, re torque, valve adjust and cct adjust if not manual adjuster.. Another 100k mile engine or so it seems.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Update:

Got everything assembled and running ! :]
This web-site helped A LOT ! with the timing of the rocker shaft:
GPZ550 Camshaft Info

Here are some pics...
imgbox - fast, simple image host

Checked for scoring marks and such, I couldn't notice any. CCT adjusted... what do you mean by re-torque ?

Problem occurred...
While driving I could hear a nasty clacking noise coming from one of the cylinders, I think. I can't locate which one. I'll upload a video of it.

Last edited by Georgi Vulchev; 04-27-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

While driving I could hear a nasty clacking noise coming from one of the cylinders, I think. I can't locate which one. I'll upload a video of it.
If the same noise is happening while at idle, get your long handled screw driver or stethoscope to locate that noise. It could be that the CCT is not working properly. The teeth tend to wear down but that is noticable visually when you inspect it prior to re-install.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I tried using the the screw driver to locate the noise, I checked for consistency in frequency and sound over the top, middle and bottom of all the cylinders. The only slight, and I mean slight difference was with cylinder 3.

I was searching for engine noises in youtube, looking for something similar to mine, and I found this. Just for comparison with my video.

Also when I was installing the chain on the rockers it didn't seem like it had any slack or movement around the rockers after installing the cam chain tensioner to tighten it. Also made sure when installing the chain to count the pins and get the timing right. So I am certain everything timing wise is good.

Do you think I should disassemble the engine again ?

I fear the worst. It might be the crankshaft making that noise. Maybe particles got in the oil and are rubbing against the bearings wearing them down. If the sound I'm hearing is a loose connection rod to the crankshaft it might be a serious job. Or it might be as simple as tightening a bolt, I am worried.

Am I understanding this right.. CCT is "Cam Chain Tensioner" right ?

Last edited by Georgi Vulchev; 04-28-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Yes, CCT= Cam Chain Tensioner

Do you think I should disassemble the engine again ?
I would definitely check your timing and cam placement again.

Thanks for the link. Got me looking into my '83 manual which does not show the hex bolt holes for the exhaust but it makes me second guess my fsm pic/description on the intake and exhaust hole location. But at least you noted the cam bolt locations on removal.

edit: Is this a US model using the clean air system?

Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Can you specify what you mean by US clean air system :?

Old 04-28-2013, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Some models have an air intake into the exhaust port and/or collect fuel vapour into a charcoal canister to help the engine meet air pollution restrictions. When everything is fine you don't notice it, but when things aren't working so well it can be a pain and cause a lot of trouble.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no idea to be honest, any way of checking for it :?

Quick Reply: Kwikasfuki GPZ 550, loud sounds, hard to start, engine trouble