General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

KDX problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Thumbs down KDX problems

G'day everyone. I find myself in need of some opinions on my troubled 2002 KDX200. The problem started a fair while ago when the bike started to get really hard to start, smoking a lot and running like a pig until it got to the point where it would not start at all (I double checked fuel and oil ratio and they were correct). So we took it of to the nearest Kawasaki repair shop and apparently the timing thing on the flywheel was broken. When we got it back it did start pretty easy the first couple of times but ran like an absolute pig and progressively started to run worse and worse. The last time I rode it (like 2 days after getting it back) I took it on a trail and it was smoking like you wouldn't believe and really hesitant to accelerate and would just stop running if left to idle. So after that episode it became unbelievably hard to stat, sometimes backfiring upon trying to start as well. If it did start the bike pretty much floored itself with the rpms nearly hitting the limiter. I got the bike out after a couple of months sitting, drained and put new fuel and oil in, pulled the carby apart and thoroughly cleaned it as well as a few other things (including plug) and I went to start it and while I eventually got it to run, the idle rpm was really high (even though the idle screw hasn't been adjusted) and smoked like hell and after a minute or so just died no matter what I did.
So that's a fairly comprehensive summary of what's happened and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by KwakaSanga; 02-18-2014 at 08:07 AM.