General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fi problems and shift problems....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Default fi problems and shift problems....

Alright, we had a bunch of snow over christmas, and my bike had been under the carport, I decided to put it in the shop, charged the battery, started the bike, and rode it down and around the street, put it in the shop and left it. When the snow melted, I thought I would take it for a spin. It started up just fine, all though the FI light stayed on, it has done this in the past, and always just turns off. When I got on the bike and shifted into first the bike died.... I went through this again and again... the bike will shift into first with my hand while it is not running, but won't go into second, and I don't know what to do. I'm wondering if maybe there could have been something frozen and when I ran it it messed up the clutch, gears, butterfly valve....? man I don't know. Please help if you can, it's an 06 zx6.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Check the side stand switch first.

gammac

Old 01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Default fi and shift problem

yeah, on first glance it doesn't appear that there are any adjustments to be made on the kickstand lever switch, (yes I am putting the kickstand up before I am trying to put it in gear) and short of taking the switch apart? to see if anything can be fixed inside, or getting a new switch.... but that wouldn't explain why it won't cycle through the gears with the bike turned off... would it?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Just spray the switch with WD 40 and leave it for a few hours. Chances are that snow was pushed into the switch. You might also try using a hair dryer on it.

The gear box will be reluctant to cycle unless either the engine, rear wheel, or preferably both, are turning. THats the nature of the selector mechanism in a sequential gear box. If you have the bike on a stand, spinning the rear wheel is probably enough to get it to shift.

You could short out the switch as an emergency measure.

Rob

Old 01-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Default thanks for the help....

yeah guys, you know what, I started taking things apart to find out what was going on and when I pulled the tank off I noticed that there were wires "cut" and the more I looked, the more I found. F'in mice made a nest up under my tank on the back of the engine, and have been chewing through all the wires that run through there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no idea how pi@@sed I am. Anyway, some of the wires are chewed all the way up to the plugs, and I am not sure where to start in fixing this problem, if you know any tricks or have suggestions I would appreciate it.

Moral of the story, don't warm up your engine block when it's snowing out, it just invites the little f***ers to eat your bike!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, ah hell hate it when the little buggers do that. Your service manual is key on getting the electrical back. Good diagrams. Surprised you did not blow a fuse or two with that mess. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

would have been better if you would have fried one of the little suckers when you started your bike. that sucks what they did to your bike. maybe try fining a new wire harness some where on the web.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 AM
1st Gear Member

just take it to an auto electrician, be cheaper than a new harness

Old 01-27-2009, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

post up or PM me if you need help.. track a manual down as well.. i'm an electrical engineer AND i work on bikes for a living.. what a combo, huh.

welcome to KF and good luck!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Must admit I didn't consider mice in my list of possibilities. I suspect the little sods might like the taste of WD-40 lol

Rob