General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermittent power loss @5600 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Intermittent power loss @5600 rpm

Just got the bike out of storage on Thursday and took it to the shop on Saturday for an oil and filter change, carb syncing, and an OEM clutch cable replacement. The bike was stored properly (fuel stabilizer, batt removed, etc) and after going over the bike before start up for a safety check and to make sure mice weren't living in the air box or eating the wires up, it started after a few cranks on the new batt. After warm up I rode it around the block and up the road a bit to go through the gears and rev range. At one point the bike wouldn't rev past 5600 rpm, even with down shifting. Then as soon as it appeared, it disappeared. Just WAM the bike accelerates past 5600 rpm. I thought it was an airflow problem, so I pulled the lid, filter and the box, nothing. Rode the 150mi home from my sisters and not a hic-up. Then Saturday, I ride the 45mi to the shop and no problems for 44mi the it happens again. Under load the bike wouldn't rev past 5600 rpm. Down shifting was no help either, and when the guy from the shop rode it....no problem. It still felt as though it was an air problem. Any ides where else to look? I'd have the shop do it, but next week the bike is getting shipped to CA (see you out there Dragone#19) and I'd rather get a little bit of seat time in while I see if it happens again. Keep in mind the bike is a 1988 Eliminator 250 that is all stock mechanically, except for a +1 front sprocket. My next thought is electrical, with 23yo parts, it might be time to replace some (or all) of the ignition components. Any ideas on where to start will help. And I know the parts from all but the '08 and up 250 Ninja will swap out as far as mechanical and electrical so any ideas on upgrades and "hot" parts will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

(see you out there Dragone#19)
nice,,,,yeah, weekends mostly are available for me at the moment since I am now residing in elko. But heck yeah, lets go ride!

Put new gas in the gal and run another dose of stabil in her. How was the float condition (ie pin holes or cracks) and adjustment?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool, my only day off is usually Sunday, but I expect to have another guy when I get back so I may get Sunday and Monday. But the Chef is good about letting me have the days off I want if I need them. Last time I took a Friday off, 2 guys quit, so I don't know about getting a whole weekend. The bike has been running great. The shop removed the carbs and checked them over real good and they were in "great shape" they said. He set them up and tuned them for running at 4,000-6,000 feet (as per a jetting chart and the A/F ratio) so I can run down to the beach without having to worry about burning up a piston and won't loose too much power at Mammoth's altitude. He also thinks I somehow loosened the wire to the right coil when I put new plugs in because it came off easier than the left off when he was checking the wires. Runs a bit lean here but not so much as to worry me. When I get it up there I'll post some pics of me and the bike at 9,000 feet in the snow and the sun.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

good to hear. congrats