General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

High octane boost ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Default High octane boost ???

Anyone use this, My bike stutters when i first start riding and then it usually goes away later. It also doesn't start the first time i start it up, even if i rode it that morning and it has been sitting for 5 or so hours. I know they say carburated bikes do this. Anyone else have this problem. Do you think high octane boost might clear some of this up, i was told it could clean up the little settlements that sit in the bottomof the tank from having your bike sitting Oh also i have only had it for a few weeks so it it has been kind of cold too but the other day it was in the low fifties and it still did it. I have an 03 zx-636 with about 4200 miles???? if you think it is good to try this what brand would you use

Old 02-16-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: High octane boost ???

what grade gas do you put inot you bike

Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 PM

I just got it a couple of weeks ago and only filled up once but i put 93 in it, i haven't started it since i have filled it up though

Old 02-17-2007, 02:30 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, My ancient 7 will start right up. I am curious No additives either.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:04 PM

if it's cold, it could be that your carbs are icing up. Not much you can do, try fiddling with the idle speed (dial **** on left side of bike, just below the fuel tank)... you could go for high octane fuel, but without a clean engine you're not going to make much difference - try something like STP or Slick 50 fuel system cleaner - this'll clean out all the crap in the injectors, clean out deposits in the engine, and sort out a myriad of problems..... it should let it run a bit better..... from then on it's not really necessary to go for high octane fuel, unless you've gota tuned race engine!! To be honest, you're best sticking with 95 RON fuel, cozmost normal engines just can't use anything more potent, and even though you think the fuel will give you more power, unless you've got one of the new breed of engines which changes your fuel/air mix to account for the higher octane levels, it might actually have a bad effect on your engine!! And there might also be a misunderstanding over the definition of high-octane - in Europe, the rating for standard unleaded is 95 RON, super unleaded is 98 RON, and high performance stuff goes up to 102 RON for BP Ultimate.