General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help getting sitting bike fired up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Help getting sitting bike fired up!

Sunday, my son and i rigged up a temporary tank on the bike and we both took it out for a spin. Down the street, up the outter road alnog I-70 and back to the house. It runs REALLY well. Front tire came off the ground when I popped it into 2nd gear on a hard acceleration. This bike is gonna be great.

Went by at noon (Monday) and picked up the liner. It is called "Tank Tech" by Therma Processes, Inc. out of Dallas, TX. Got it a local radiator shop. 1 quart cost me $40 plus tax.

It say to use naptha, alcohol or MEK to remove grease and oil. Steam clean or high pressure wash.

Duct tape on on the openings.

I used MEK (4 pints) to remove the old, redliner. It was cracked and pealing off, thus the rust in the tank that was originally covered was loose again. After that, I used Muratic acid (2 gallons, for pools) to get the rust out. MEK, muratic acid, water rinse. Repeated that 3 times until the MEK came back out clear. Looking in the filler hole I see nothing but shinny silver steel. Finished up with an acetone rinse (to get the water) and then air dry (compressed air and then a fan blowing through it for about 20 minutes.

Taped the holes shut with duct tape, stirred up the coating, dumped the whole quart in. Rotated the tank around, slowly, to cover the WHOLE inside of the tank. After about 10 minutes of rolling, I pulled the tape off of the petcock opening and drained the excess liner back into the can (per instructions).

It is now sitting in its normal position with a fan blowing air through it. In 2 hours (again per instructions)I will go back down and pour the Tank Tech back in, roll it around and drain it out again. Tomorrow morning it will be dry and ready to use.

Planning to take it with me in the morning (supposed to rain) and run by the shop to let tham take a look at it. That way I will be able to install it and get them to warranty the work they already did on the carbs.

If the rain passes by before noon. I will come home, put the tank on and ride it back to the shop for the inspection and then get the plates. If not, it will be Wednesday before it get licensed.

So close!

Mike

Old 09-25-2007, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Went done to the garage this morning (7:00 am), cleaned the openings and installed the petcock, low fuel sensor and the gas cap on the tank. Liner is hard as a rock and ready to go.
Just ran by the shop and had the mechanic take a look. He was impressed that is was so clean, lined and the paint was still good. He has seen them done by the radiator shop and come back with half the paint missing. No problem with using it now.
Like I said before, if the rain holds off, I will go home at noon and install the tank. Then back to the shop for the inspection. It is just down the street to get the plates.

Pray for sunshine!

Mike

Old 09-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

right on bro. glad your almost done. enjoy!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Tuesday at noon:
Went home at noon and put the bike together. Poured in some gas and headed off for the shop. Got abouta mile down the road (1/2 block from gas station) and it started ******* and died. Pushed it to the station and got about 3/4 of tank full.
Still not running right, so back to the house. Pulled the fuel line and a dripping of gas. Started the bike and still only drips. Pulled the tank, removed the petcock, took out the new o-ring (split) and the spring. Now I will get gas!
Re-installed everything, fired the bike up and it even idled better.

!KA-BOOM!

Thunder and lightning and a terenchal downpour lets loose. Called work and told them I wouldn't make it back. All my cars/trucks are gone. Yes, I have a great job with a great local Engineering company. Flexable on time. Easy to get along with. Been working there 9 years.

I look down at the bike, and there is fuel dripping out on the the floor. Petcock gasket is leaking. Dis-assembled everything, cleaned and re-installed - still leaking. (mind you, I had to drain 3 gallons of gas out everytime - wouldn't leak until at least half full)
Apart one more time - black RTV sealer on all mating surfaces AND rubber gaskets - back together and no more leaks. (I plan to install a shut-off valve in the fuel line). Now it is almost 3:30 and still raining. Spent the next 2 hours just cleaning and buffing.

Wednesday:
Dry out in the morning. Took the bike to work. Did a test run up the outer road away form work and back - ran great. Then off to work.
Out mid-morning to the shop for inspection - passed. Down the road to DMV - licensed!

Now it is ready - Woo-Hoo!

Home for lunch and then back to work - took a long way back.

Mike

Old 09-26-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

THANKS TO EVERYONE

for all the advice, help and support!

Mike

Old 09-28-2007, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Bike is running really well. Great acceleration and fast. Shop did wonders!

My first go-around with a sport bike - easy to see why everyone gets addicted to them. Too bad it is my sons (though I will be riding it some, too).

Not my first choice for a long ride, but really great for tooling around and hitting the curves. Might just have to break down and get one for myself.

Mike

Old 09-30-2007, 05:15 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats Mike on the fix.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, here we go again.

Bike is running poorly. Drained gas and looked inside - lining is coming off.

Followed the directions, but I guess it wasn't happy.

Clean and seal again. at least I have the sealer.

Mike

Old 10-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

dang! I would give up on that tank personnally and save yourself some aspirin! Example: I just bought an 06 10r tank in perfect condition for $260 shipped. Then you can play with sealing the old tank and still get to ride!

Edit: Mike, everytime I see you post up I need an aspirin! hahaha

Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Could be worse...could be something I couldn't fix myself.

I do have a line on a replacement tank form a member on this forum.

Probably buy it and use it until I get this one fixed for good.

All is well, timing is everything.

Mike