General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clicking that speeds up with back tire only when in gear HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Default Clicking that speeds up with back tire only when in gear HELP

I am very new to the bike scene, so bare with me when you find out how little i actually know. i recently purchased a 2002 ZRX-750-s. it ran fine, just the stator was shot from the prevous owner dropping it, numerous times, usually into another car, and then the bike getting hit (all of whih he confessed to me AFTER i complained about the noise) anyway, to make it short; i didnt notice the noise until after i installed the new stator, however, i am unsure if the noise happened immediately when i ichanged it, or sometime after as i had my iPod in for a few rides.

heres what gets me (i am a grease monkey at heart and tried to losely apply my hot rod skills to troubleshoot) the clicking only happens when the bike is in gear, and traveling over roughly 4 mph although it could just be so quiet at that point, i cant hear it. if, at any time, you apply the clutch while riding and allow the bike to coast, the clicking goes away immediatley. it happens in all gears, and seems to speed up with the motor HOWEVER, it does not speed up and then slow down once you shift, so it sounds like it speeds up with the sprocket.

to change the stator, i had to remove the stator cover, the shifter and the shifter cover (to have access to route wires) and the plate, i know im an idiot, that overs the left side of the motor or transfer case between the stator and the shifter. i also removed the gas tak to pull the battery out and put a new one back in.

i really would like to get this fixed among other things on my bike. i have all the time in the world just no money (starving college student) someone, please help me :-(

Old 07-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Clicking that speeds up with back tire only when in gear HELP

Welcome to the forums....

I bet someone else on here can answer that better than I can.....So be patient and someone will get to ya

Sounds to me, like the clutch.....Did you mess with the clutch at all? Maybe a piece went in wrong? Is your chain adjusted correctly?

Enjoy your stay.....Love the sig!!

Old 07-05-2006, 09:40 AM

I'm hoping so; im in a rush onyl because i dont want to be on the freeway and then all of a sudden my back tire locks up or something, haha. i didnt mess with the chain at all, however i know it isnt rubbing on anything and i am unsure if it is slapping but my friend who rides says he doesnt think it is. also, ii didnt mess with the clutch originally, but i pulled off the case, and checked for lose pieces, everthing was in ship shape, and the clutch seemed to be adjusted correctly too.....oh, why wont the prob just fix it self, LOL

Old 07-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

http://www.dansmc.com/rearchain.htm

While you are waiting for someone that knows more than me, lol, check this link out for the chain.... Some good info. Have you checked the free play in the chain?

Old 07-06-2006, 08:32 AM

I don't know anything either.. but to me it sounds like chain slap. First thing I'd check is chain slack, and lube. Also a good check for stretch, alignment, and any stiff links. If the problem only happens in gear, it means it's only happening when the chain is tensioned. That link BR just posted looks like it has some good things to check for... Good luck!

Old 07-06-2006, 10:44 AM

an update; it SEEMS to only happen when accelerating....when i cruise, or coast in neutral, etc, it doesnt seem to do it, and when the clutch is engaged it goes away, HOWEVER, when the clutch is released roughly half way, it comes back. the harder i accelerate the louder it seems, but it might just be my imagination.....oh god how it annoys and spooks me ! !