New bike running rough at very slow speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 AM
Default New bike running rough at very slow speeds.

My bike is only a week old with only 50 miles on it. It is jerky and rough at low speeds,
in first gear, it also makes what is almost a back-firing sound on deceleration. I took
out the gas the dealer put in and filled the tank with Premium (as it says on the bike) and
that did definetly help some, but the bike is not running as smooth as it should which
I need for my skill's test, going around the cones, etc.

Also I didn't get an Owner's Manual with the bike.. What is the black dial on the
right hand side of the bike, looks like a carb adjustment for gas or air? Is there
a diptick? How do I check the oil level?

Dealer says to wait until I have 500 miles on the bike.. Think he's being lazy about
warranty work.

Another dealer close by won't do the Warranty work for a bike that was bought at
another dealership ! I'm writing my Attorney General and the BBB about them.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2006, 02:06 AM
Default RE: New bike running rough at very slow speeds.

Is this your first bike? If so, I'd guess that it's not the bike. When I first started riding it was jerky-city at low speeds until I learned proper throttle and clutch control. Often I'll have to use a little clutch to smooth out any changes at low speeds in speed or for really slow riding... Remember you have a wet clutch... they're made to be ridden a bit more as opposed to the clutch in your car. Did you take the MSF course? They do a great job of taking you through a lot of low-speed exercises.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:25 AM

You may have hit the nail on the head. I have ridden a Honda CX 500 before for a couple of
years but never had to take a skills test with the beast. Will try giving it a little clutch to see
if that helps the jerking.

Knew I should have bought that Honda Scooter 600cc with the Auto tranny..

norsseman in spokane

Old 06-22-2006, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: norsseman

You may have hit the nail on the head. I have ridden a Honda CX 500 before for a couple of
years but never had to take a skills test with the beast. Will try giving it a little clutch to see
if that helps the jerking.

Knew I should have bought that Honda Scooter 600cc with the Auto tranny..

norsseman in spokane
Glad to help... Let us know how it goes. As for your other questions... You should most definately get an owners manual w/the bike if it was new, go back to the dealer and tell them they forgot to give it to you. I don't know about your bike, but I check my oil with a sighting glass on the right side with the bike level (as is in the owners manual), and the only dial/**** I have is an idle-adjust, but we're talking totally different bikes, so I don't have a clue what's on yours.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the directions on finding the engine oil level, it's filled half way. vn750 running good now
on Premium gas, but on long trips will probably use regular fuel. Only got about 25 miles per
gallon on my first tank, but I guess that is understandable during break-in.

Hard to keep it under 4000 rmp, it just wants to rev and take off. Definetly the best bike I've
ever had.

Dealer in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho has an Owner's Manual on order, but Kawasaki Motors, Inc didn't
believe that one wasn't with the bike..

Great forums at vn750.com, been using that sight for a lot of info.