General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Carbs dumping gas from the vent hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:01 AM
Default Carbs dumping gas from the vent hose

I replaced the fuel pepcock and now i got gas coming out the vent line that runs under the seat and down the side. The fuel line to the pepcock is right but the hard line in the front of the carbs is just letting fuel run out. It sat for 2yrs so i dont know. Could it be wrong sone how? Iys not showing me a schematics of the lines nowhere pls help

Old 05-05-2017, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the float is stuck or problem with the needle/seat. Tap the bottom of the carb with a screwdriver handle and see if that unsticks the float. If not, it may be time to open the carb.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Default Carb

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Sounds like the float is stuck or problem with the needle/seat. Tap the bottom of the carb with a screwdriver handle and see if that unsticks the float. If not, it may be time to open the carb.
Carbs
Because i have found thru reasearch that the line dumping the fuel is a vent and although i never heard of that but this is my first bike and fist time working on it so i guess the question is why is the vent line got fuel coming out of it? Do you still think its the float? I did buy the rebuild kits i guess it just time to do that let me know what you think and i will try tabing on it. I just confused at why a vent line has fuel in it.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

If a float or needle/seat is stuck open, fuel flows into the carb and doesn't stop. It needs to go somewhere and out the vent lines is one place. Another is into the motor and if you get a bunch in there, big damage can occur when you try to start it. The float moves up and down opening the needle/seat 'valve' to control fuel flow.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:27 PM

If a float or needle/seat is stuck open, fuel flows into the carb and doesn't stop. It needs to go somewhere and out the vent lines is one place. Another is into the motor and if you get a bunch in there, big damage can occur when you try to start it. The float moves up and down opening the needle/seat 'valve' to control fuel flow.
carbs
Well then im going to pull the carbs since i have the rebiuld kits. Now if i did get fuel in the motor will changing the oil and turning it over with the plugs out clear it? Got scared at what you said because there is fuel missing i dont want to blow it i have not rode it yet. Thank you so much for your time and attention its aporeciated

Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

You're welcome.
Check the float to see if it is full of fuel or for cracks (it may need replaced).

Check your oil level and smell it. A little fuel isn't terrible, but then again oil is cheap.
If the cylinder had too much fuel and you tried to start it, it could "hydro-lock" and possibly damage a rod or other internals. Imagine a cylinder full of water (or fuel) then jam the starter. The fluid is not compressible so something may give. This is a rare situation but enough to be concerned about and similar to dumping a running motor into the creek as you're crossing it. Pull the plug since you're in there and turn it over a bunch to see if anything comes out.

What bike are you working on?

Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Default C

You're welcome.
Check the float to see if it is full of fuel or for cracks (it may need replaced).

Check your oil level and smell it. A little fuel isn't terrible, but then again oil is cheap.
If the cylinder had too much fuel and you tried to start it, it could "hydro-lock" and possibly damage a rod or other internals. Imagine a cylinder full of water (or fuel) then jam the starter. The fluid is not compressible so something may give. This is a rare situation but enough to be concerned about and similar to dumping a running motor into the creek as you're crossing it. Pull the plug since you're in there and turn it over a bunch to see if anything comes out.

What bike are you working on?
Carb
Its a 2005 kawa vulcan 500ltd