General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bike wont start in storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bike wont start in storage

So my bike is in storage for the winter and I make it a point to start it up and let the engine warm up every 2 weeks or so. I started it up before I went home for christmas about 3 weeks ago and I tried to start it up today and it wouldnt.

Heres what happened:

When I turn the key everything appears fine and when I pressed the start button the engine tried to roll over for a few seconds and then it went dead. After trying it a few more times all I hear is that clicking sound from pressing the button and thats it. I put gas in the tank the last time I rode it which was probably around a month to a month and a half ago so its not that old, any recommendations that I can do before it goes in the bed of my truck to the shop?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

battery tender.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoedogg
battery tender.

I agree

Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah it must be the battery. if you need to bring it by and i'll charge your battery. i live in virginia beach too. Maybe one the weather gets better we could go for a ride together.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

So all it probably is a low battery issue? I do have a trickle charger so I guess Ill pull it out today, charge it, and see what happens from there. And Bluebeast I pm'd you with my number because Im always down for meeting new riders in my area.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 AM
1st Gear Member

flat battery for sure

Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I talked to him the other day. he was changing the battery but i'm not to sure if that helped out or not haven't talked to him in a few days.
But i'm sure it fixed it.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't start the bike every couple of weeks. You'll do more harm than good. Acidic combustion by products from the rich cold start mixture contaminate the oil and will start to etch bearing journals - the motor, and especially the oil, should be bought up to full operating temperature after starting to avoid this, which means a ten mile (minimum) ride.

Do an oil change to get clean oil back into the motor, then leave it until spring if you're not going to ride it.

Constant starts have flattened the battery. Remove it and charge it. Then leave it off until needed. You may be too late and need a new battery. A battery tender is an alternative. With a good battery your bike will start OK. Fill the fuel tank to replace the fuel you've used. Condensation can occur in a part full tank. This can rust the tank and can leave you with water in the fuel.

Rob

Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Got some updates for you. I took the battery out and charged it. Put it back in and now its doing something different. When I turn the key its like the bike is in a fight to go through the electrical start up process that you see on the gauge (the rpm gauge cycles and the 0 mph shows etc.) I will hear a clicking sound from the part I have circled in red in the pic below and after a few seconds it will cycle successfully so I press the start button and everything goes dead on the gauge, the mph gauge, the oil pressure, neutral, and FI light, all of them go dark. I have looked at all wire and hose connections and they're all good. I did all this before I read that last post, didn't know I was doing harm to my bike by starting it up every two weeks or so but its too late now, I just want to get it started again so I can take it in for a service I guess.

Sorry, I'm unable to attach the pics because it says they are too large which doesn't make any sense to me since its a photobucket link but oh well.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your battery is U/S. Try jump starting off a car battery. You could also check that the battery terminals and frame earth are tight and clean.

Rob