General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NDstructible
I think I might go back to the stock set up and wait to get a map done, I am still running the stock computer. From all of my reading though it seams like a lot of people don't mind the popping sounds
you are running a pipe, a high flow air filter and cams on the stock computer??? that's prob most of your problem. you've got to much air without enough fuel flowing thru that motor. that would be like have a 454 race engine with a 1000 hp with a 500cfm 2 brrl carb on it. lol.....get a PC3, get it mapped right and you should improve greatly.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

So it turns out I am just a jack *** and didn't plug the green sensor back in ontop of the airbox...did that and it fixed the FI light. Once I got that done though I had my allen head steering dampener bolt break so I had to get that out, re tap the hole, and get a new bolt just to finish putting it together. I will go on my test ride today.

The original owner of the bike raced it and he did most of the internal work. He put in cams, oversized the exhaust valves, and probably some other things too...no computer though, it looked like the stock one when I was in there re wiring the bike.

Question though, when I had my airbox off I noticed that I didn't have any drain hose hooked up to the bottom. Also, the other small hole opposite the side of the drain hole was supposed to have a little "nubbin" on it for me to cap right (for the kleen air mod)? The nubbin was completely broken off and also had no hoses to it, could this have been an air leak as well? Thanks guys

Old 03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey I drove through roswell not too long ago when I was heading to Ruidoso! I'm torn between getting a computer for the bike or selling it...I know it wont fetch much since it has been raced but I want something more stock that I can play with. race fairings are a pain in the ***

Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

put it on wera it should sell pretty quick on there

Old 03-04-2009, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

sweet thanks. Is it a local thing? I dont want to deal with shipping and all that junk...the bike is running great! After doing the kleen air mod I no longer have any backfiring problems. I dont know if it is just masking the problem or not, but it will do for the time being. Thanks to all who helped with this!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I was just going to post it up on craigs list

Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

good to know, thanks for the update and glad that things are running good.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NDstructible
sweet thanks. Is it a local thing? I dont want to deal with shipping and all that junk...the bike is running great! After doing the kleen air mod I no longer have any backfiring problems. I dont know if it is just masking the problem or not, but it will do for the time being. Thanks to all who helped with this!
why not keep it since its runnin fine

Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I would like to try and find an 05 ninja or newer. I like the body change and the re done swingarm, and that the frame and swingarm are both blacked out already. Mine are too but I just sanded it and painted it.

I also dislike not having the black upper inner fairing pieces that close all the wiring in...I hate seeing that stuff exposed. My headlights are also a bit goofy with the wiring and their location....with the race fairings I cant pop my seat off using the key, I have to pull my undertail (i made one because they dont sell one) and unscrew a bolt holding a latch. It all seems like life would be a lot easier with some stock fairings.

Although ideally I would buy a frame and powder coat it a bright gold, and swap everything on the bike to the new frame

Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

you can easily fix the plastic buy sellin yours and gettin some oem fairings, the 03-04 models are buy far the best lookin 636's, lighter and better handleing

Quick Reply: Backfiring