General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 ZX600 Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

It does sound like clogged pilot jets to me. Not hard to clean just a PITA.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I got back to it this weekend.

Took the carbs apart, sprayed them down with carb cleaner, wiped everything off/out and reassembled. Put them back on the bike and hooked up a temp tank.

Bike fired right up and ran pretty well, but I noticed "bubbling" in the crank vent hole so I shut it down.

Pulled the oil cap off and oil/gas spewed out at me. Pulled the drain plug and got almost 2 gallons of oil/gas out of it. What a mess! Guess the floats were stuck.

BTW, the petcock on the tank runs straight through, no vacuum valve. It was trashed when we bought it and we didn't replace it - might be time to get a new one so this won't happen again.

Planning to fill it with oil, run it for a couple of minutes, then drain it out and repeat the process for a 2nd time. Hopefully that will "clean out" the crankcase.

Any suggestions welcome.

The fun continues.........

Mike

Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cougarkid
Well, I got back to it this weekend.

Took the carbs apart, sprayed them down with carb cleaner, wiped everything off/out and reassembled. Put them back on the bike and hooked up a temp tank.

Bike fired right up and ran pretty well, but I noticed "bubbling" in the crank vent hole so I shut it down.

Pulled the oil cap off and oil/gas spewed out at me. Pulled the drain plug and got almost 2 gallons of oil/gas out of it. What a mess! Guess the floats were stuck.

BTW, the petcock on the tank runs straight through, no vacuum valve. It was trashed when we bought it and we didn't replace it - might be time to get a new one so this won't happen again.

Planning to fill it with oil, run it for a couple of minutes, then drain it out and repeat the process for a 2nd time. Hopefully that will "clean out" the crankcase.

Any suggestions welcome.

The fun continues.........

Mike
Thats too bad But you are correct, either stuck floats or maybe with not vacuum line, does the petcock have a shut off? I honestly don't know if the 91 ZX600 had a vacuum activated petcock, but if not, there would be a way to shut the fuel off with a shut off setting.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yup. Just curious now, if you turn the petcock to the off position, does gas still flow while the ride is not running? Besides the fact that your floats are not adusted correctly or are not working correctly.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay,

To answer the fuel valve question, the factory fuel petcock is a vacuum operated delivery/shut-off. Vacuum operated diaphragm inside the bolted on casing allows fuel to flow when the engine is running. No vacuum equals no fuel going through it. There is a "primer" button to use when the bike has been sitting a while, that is only accessible with a screw driver between the seat and the side fairing.

The diaphragm, spring, and associated rubber o-ring were trash when we bought it. Put a "kit" in it, but the casing is damaged (corroded) so it would not work. (new petcock is $75+). Pulled the guts out of it and cut a gasket to make it fuel-tight so it would allow fuel to get through to the engine.

No shut-off valve is installed in the fuel line. There is no "good" place to install one. The design of the frame/tank/cowling/fairing and fuel line location leave no place to install a valve and gain access to it to turn it on/off. I can reach in with a small pair of needle-nose vice grips and clamp off the fuel line just before the in-line filter as a last resort.

With all that said, we have been running with NO fuel shut off. Guess that will have to change, and soon.

I have an old plastic oil "can" with a lid off of an hydraulic oil bottle set up for my gas tank while I work on the bike. Keep me from having to set the tank on the bike and hook up the fuel line every time I do something. The spout fits right inside the fuel line and also allows me to flip it over so that the fuel is cut off. I have stapped it on before for test rides when working with the carbs.

I went out last night and started the "clean-out". Poured 4 quarts of oil (old oil from previous changes) into the crank and started the bike up. It seems to be running fairly well. Let it idle for about 5 minutes and shut it down. Drained the oil out and poured 4 more quarts in. Started it up again and let it idle for about 10 minutes and shut it down. Drained the oil once more.

No smell of gas in the oil after the 2nd go round. Now it is sitting with the drain plug out, waitng for some new oil from the store. Hopefully between this and cleaning the carbs will solve my engine problems.

I will have to find a way to shut off the fuel before I put it all back together. May have to break down and by the new petcock.

Mike

Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cougarkid
Okay,

To answer the fuel valve question, the factory fuel petcock is a vacuum operated delivery/shut-off. Vacuum operated diaphragm inside the bolted on casing allows fuel to flow when the engine is running. No vacuum equals no fuel going through it. There is a "primer" button to use when the bike has been sitting a while, that is only accessible with a screw driver between the seat and the side fairing.

The diaphragm, spring, and associated rubber o-ring were trash when we bought it. Put a "kit" in it, but the casing is damaged (corroded) so it would not work. (new petcock is $75+). Pulled the guts out of it and cut a gasket to make it fuel-tight so it would allow fuel to get through to the engine.

No shut-off valve is installed in the fuel line. There is no "good" place to install one. The design of the frame/tank/cowling/fairing and fuel line location leave no place to install a valve and gain access to it to turn it on/off. I can reach in with a small pair of needle-nose vice grips and clamp off the fuel line just before the in-line filter as a last resort.

With all that said, we have been running with NO fuel shut off. Guess that will have to change, and soon.

I have an old plastic oil "can" with a lid off of an hydraulic oil bottle set up for my gas tank while I work on the bike. Keep me from having to set the tank on the bike and hook up the fuel line every time I do something. The spout fits right inside the fuel line and also allows me to flip it over so that the fuel is cut off. I have stapped it on before for test rides when working with the carbs.

I went out last night and started the "clean-out". Poured 4 quarts of oil (old oil from previous changes) into the crank and started the bike up. It seems to be running fairly well. Let it idle for about 5 minutes and shut it down. Drained the oil out and poured 4 more quarts in. Started it up again and let it idle for about 10 minutes and shut it down. Drained the oil once more.

No smell of gas in the oil after the 2nd go round. Now it is sitting with the drain plug out, waitng for some new oil from the store. Hopefully between this and cleaning the carbs will solve my engine problems.

I will have to find a way to shut off the fuel before I put it all back together. May have to break down and by the new petcock.

Mike
Yeah, thats the same type of petcock thats on my ZRX. There is a manual petcock that you have to turn off and on thats called a Pingel, not sure of the exact spelling. Also not sure of the price either but could be an option when your looking at 75 bucks.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Well,

It's got oil, but it doesn't run quite right.

Will only start if choked, and then will only idle after warming up. Twisting the throtle will kill it out.

Been this route before and it requires a trip to the shop for a carb clean and set/sync.

Will need to wait a bit - funds are a bit low right now.

Mike

Old 04-14-2009, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Well,

Went back out and tried one more time. Pulled the carbs and cleaned them out again.

Back together and it still runs the same. Starts only if choked, idles once warm, dies out when the trotle is twisted. If I put my hand over the "stacks" and twist the throtle it will rev up, but die out when I take my hand off - definately time for a set/sync.

Shop it will be, after all.

Mike