General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 ZX600 Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy 91 ZX600 Engine Trouble

Long time no post - my bad.

Pulled out my son's ZX600 to get it ride ready. For anyone that might remember, this is the bike I had to line the tank on - twice. It was running when parked.

Tank was nearly empty when parked. Pulled the tank, pulled, cleaned and gapped the plugs and then re-assembled. Charged up the battery and poured in some gas. A few cranks and she fired right up. Rolled it out of the garage and took it up the road for a spin.

Did really good for about 1/2 mile and then it started bogging down. Throtle wide open and it slowly died out when I tried to turn around. Sat for about 20 minutes and it started with the throtle cranked all the way open. Smoothed out to an idle and I headed for home. Got half way back home and same thing. Ended up pushing it the rest of the way.

Pulled the in-line filter and found some crud in it. Had to pull the tank to get to it and I noticed a little oil in the air box and some on the filter, too. Wiped it out and moved on. Put on a new fuel filter and tried it again.

Fired right up and purred like a kitten. Off for another ride. Made it 3/4 of a mile this time before it bogged out and died. Fuel filter was full of fuel, but it would not restart. Had to have the wife come get me with the truck this time.

Got it back home and it started back up, only to die 30 seconds later. (I didn't try to keep it running).

Haven't pulled it apart yet, but there is oil running down the back of the engine, appartently from the air box. Nice puddle in the truck bed.

What could be maiking it die out? Clogged carbs? Dirty needle valve on the floats?

What would cause it to draw oil up from the crank case? (air box is directly connected to the crank).

I figure this will be something small and stupid, just out of my "realm of thought"

Thank in advance for any advice.

Mike

Old 03-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

are you sure that the smog stuff is hooked up correctly? (oil in box?) What about the fuel tap condition? or maybe the float levels? (starving and shut down issue?)

Last edited by Dragone#19; 03-17-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Everything is hooked up as it was originally. Will check to make sure air intake is not blocked in any way.

Maybe open throtle, rolling at 55 mph in gear with no fuel causing suction from crank? Just a wild theory, probaly a pipe dream.

Seems to be a fuel issue, but not sure what, yet.
Fuel flows freely from the tank.
Have not pulled carbs, yet. Might try just bleeding them out first, hopefully just junk in the bowls.

Will try later this week, busy the next few days. (damn work!)

Mike

Old 03-17-2009, 03:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

probaly a pipe dream
yeah especially the 3 way dreams.

Right on, good flow from the tank and sounds like you know what to do as always....

Old 03-17-2009, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you drain the bowls before parking the bike? I agree with the carbs might be dirty. Pilot jets could be partially clogged too.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Maybe a dumb suggestion, but make sure you have adequate venting to your fuel tank at the cap. If your bike isn't backfiring and lurching, the fuel sounds like it's OK to me; the engine just isn't getting enough of it. Try going down the road again, with the gas cap just a tick loose.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

No backfire or lurch, just dies out. Tank vent is clear (blew through it).

Bowls were not drained, so dirt is suspect.

Might get to it tonight, we will see.

Not a big rush for me, as it is my sons bike and he is off at school, though I would like to get it going. I have a Suzuki 800 Intruder that I ride.

Mike

Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I pulled the carb rack and drained the carbs. Took the bowls off and wiped them out. Didn't "mess" with anything, just off and on.

Back together (no tank or air box) with temporary tank. Would start with choke, but not keep running. Will have to do some more fiddeling to see if I can figure it out.

Might be back to the shop for a carb re-do in the end.

Mike

Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Do the carbs yourself. But, do a complete cleaning. Have fun.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Last time I took them apart and cleaned them completely, I ended up at the shop getting them set and synced. That was when we got it.

Since it didn't seem to help much, I figure they are gummed up from setting over the winter.

I didn't changed anything, just pulled the bowls and wiped them out. Guess I could pull the rack, pull everything apart and spray it all down with some carb cleaner. As long as don't adjust anything, it should still be close enough to run.

No tools to set and sync the carbs. Maybe this weekend, if the weather isn't too nice.

Mike

Quick Reply: 91 ZX600 Engine Trouble