General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2009 KLR650 STALLS, No Spark Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Default 2009 KLR650 STALLS, No Spark Sometimes

I need help figuring out where to look for a problem I have with my KLR. When cold, it will start right up and run fine. It runs good on the road as long as I'm moving, but when I come to a stop and let the bike idle, it stalls. Not every time, but most of the time, and if I hold the engine speed at 3000 RPM it won't stall at all. To duplicate this while trying to diagnose the problem, I put an inline spark tester on it, start it, and let it idle for 15 minutes or so. It stalls, and usually won't restart, although the battery is good and the starter turns the engine over fine. There is no spark while the engine is turning over. Where would one start looking to solve this problem?

Old 09-26-2013, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

The '08-09 models had a wiring harness recall. The harness / wiring would chafe and short out, often along the steering neck and along the frame under the tank. I would investigate that possibility first. You can see if your bike was in the recall here:

Welcome to Kawasaki.com

There was a shoddy recall repair method used where only a part of the wiring harness was replaced. That has come back to haunt owners with problems. Meaning, if your bike has been back for the recall, the problem may not have been effectively addressed.

I would make sure this possibility was looked into before engaging in activity that might void your ability to get recall repair. A service writer looks at a hacked up wiring harness and shrugs his shoulders and says "it's yours now, we don't have to deal with that" would be hard to argue against.

There hasn't been a consistent, describable symptom to the wiring harness chafing, just general complaints of stalling, bikes cutting out, not starting. Your issues would lead me to suspect wiring. Expansion, contraction, vibration and a chafed wire just might produce the symptoms you describe. I do question why the main fuse hasn't blown if there is a short....

http://recallcast.com/recalls/2009/f...cal-09v062000/

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...000&refurl=rss

Last edited by Fuller_Malarkey; 09-26-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:38 PM

My KLR has not had the wiring harness recall inspection, so it's at the dealer now. I was a little disappointed that the wiring harness replacement is not automatic... Thank you for the information.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Happy to have helped. Now. As long as the bike is at the dealer, you might want to check if your bike was in the recall for muffler fasteners......... and for turn signals.......they both have a tendency to fall off and had recalls.

The recall that didn't happen you need to be aware of.......the one for excessive oil consumption. SOME KLR's will suck oil like a wino on a fresh jug of Ripple. Without warning or symptom [like smoking, fouled plug]. You only have 2.5 liters of oil in there to begin with, and I've seen bikes suck one and a half liters in 300 miles of road riding. Pay attention to your oil sight glass if you are running over 4800 RPM's for extended periods.