2009 KLX250s EFI stalls at traffic lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy 2009 KLX250s EFI stalls at traffic lights

I just want to know if anyone else has this problem on their 2009 KLX250s EFI models in the UK or any other country that has the EFI KLX250s

To put it simply, after riding the bike for anywhere between 5 minutes to over an hour then stopping at any traffic lights or junctions that means I have to come to a complete stop with the clutch is pulled full in & the bike is in first gear, the bike will tick over fine at correct idle for anywhere between 15 seconds to a minute then stalls/cuts out the engine all by itself, then will take at least 10-20 seconds of turning over to restart itself again..

I have also found that the bike cannot do anymore than 75-76mph!!, the ECU on the bike reads the speed of the bike & will start to limit the rpm from 10,500rpm to approx 8000rpm after 50-55mph, then it limits the rpm again from 8000rpm to 7400rpm at the 62-70mph mark, making overtaking rather hair-raising to say the least when you go to past & have no acceleration left due to it being restricted by its rpm's.

I have an original 1990 Kawasaki KDX125sr 2-stroke that is far faster than a modern 250 4-stroke, What the hell is going on???..

Ive had the usual crap with Kawasaki UK saying there is no fault or recalls & my dealer says he cant do anything, I have seen that some thailand owners have had the dealers where they purchased the bike calling them to have the newest ECU fitted with a proper map on it that cures all the problems.. But in the UK we get nothing..

SO far I have now got my tickover up at 2000rpm as this seems to stop it from cutting out quite as much..

Also I found that some mods such as fitting the larger airbox snorkel from the kdx220 & fitting a custom made exhaust link pipe with the lamda sensor boss fitted & finished off with an old moto-x stubby-can from an old crf250 also helped slighty with curing the stalling/cutting out, but still didnt cure it & it still stalls/cuts out even with the tickover rpm at over 2000rpm

Ed.

Last edited by Big-Ed; 12-11-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added to message..
Old 12-12-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow sounds like my specialty. I do auto electronic and electrical diagnosis and repair. This sounds like a classic crank sensor failure in cars. I have no access to any repair information on the 2009 EFI model. So I have no idea what the ECU uses to trigger the amount of spray time the injector shoots fuel. Or triggers spark for that matter. I know that you can fake the ECU on the 2009 into thinking the bike is in first gear or neutral all the time, which allows you to redline every gear instead of that crap RPM limiting at certain gears and RPM. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-785180.html
thats the link on how to perform the magic on the ECU.
But as far as the stalling I am not much help not knowing how the kickstand switch is wired and the clutch switch and the crankshaft speed trigger system works, probably the stator on this bike, but I am just guessing.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

The new FI MX bikes do the same thing from time to time, even when remapped, they call it flame out. Think it's fourstroke single cyl FI thing. Setting the idle speed a tick higher helps a bunch, as does riding around it by getting the clutch in and giving the throttle a blip. much like riding a twostroke. Not saying what YOUR bike is doing is normal, just giving a point of reference for evaluation.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Cheers for the replies guys, Ive had just about enough of the bike already & im considering selling it after less than a year now as its gone from a nuisence to down right dangerous (was nearly rear ended by a bus who thought id have moved away but the bike had cut out on me).

Being a 2-stroke rider in the past (still have one) the only way I keep it running is to ride it like a 2-stroker revving it at lights etc.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has the same problems with the EFI/DFI 2009 KLX250s, but remeber that the US models are carb bikes (Wish I had that on mine!)

Ive found out how to get rid of the speed/rpm limiter, but I lose the speedo. I disconnect the speedo sensor behing the headlight & after about the 50mph mark the FI warning light triggers to say its not getting the proper signal but by god the bike comes alive as its running the 1st gear map, it gets the front end going light from 3rd to 4th & I ran outta road about the 70mph mark in 5th with a gear to go..

Ed.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

This is not a new issue for the 09 EFI version of the KLX. It was identified in Thailand almost a year ago and Kawasaki TH, not the dealers, implemented an ECU swap to correct the problem. My bike does not do this so I have not done the ECU swap. Most, but not all, of the folks I know who have had it done have seen the problem resolved and have noticed a performance increase. I would check with your dealer to see if they have some tech orders or what ever they call them about it. There is also a "performance" ECU sold here that some rave about.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi pseacraft, this is the problem Im having as my local Kawasaki dealer & Kawasaki UK refuse to accept & admit that there is a problem with my ecu even though I have been comlaining about it the 2nd day after I bought my bike new..

pseacraft, Do you know anyone that has been sent an offical letter in Thailand that says about the ecu being replaced by Kawasaki so I could have it scanned & sent to me so I can hit my dealer with it & get something done..

Ed.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Ed - I sure do not have that knowledge and have never received any official notification. But if you go to the Golden Triangle Riders forum at the following link I am sure someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-mot...iland-f32.html

We have many dealers here that r clueless as they are not into "big" bikes (scooters are the norm) but we have a couple that are spot on and make it their business to know everything that they can. Kawasaki TH is actually fairly good about responding to peoples questions to, they get hammered a lot by folks asking for the KLR650 to get added to our local market.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Big-Ed
Cheers for the replies guys, Ive had just about enough of the bike already & im considering selling it after less than a year now as its gone from a nuisence to down right dangerous (was nearly rear ended by a bus who thought id have moved away but the bike had cut out on me).

Being a 2-stroke rider in the past (still have one) the only way I keep it running is to ride it like a 2-stroker revving it at lights etc.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has the same problems with the EFI/DFI 2009 KLX250s, but remeber that the US models are carb bikes (Wish I had that on mine!)

Ive found out how to get rid of the speed/rpm limiter, but I lose the speedo. I disconnect the speedo sensor behing the headlight & after about the 50mph mark the FI warning light triggers to say its not getting the proper signal but by god the bike comes alive as its running the 1st gear map, it gets the front end going light from 3rd to 4th & I ran outta road about the 70mph mark in 5th with a gear to go..

Ed.
There's another mod you can find at the Thumpertalk forum that makes the bike think it's in 1st gear all of the time. That way you can get the performance you need without losing your speedo.

Two Brothers makes a 'Juice Box' programmer (similar to Power Commander)for the EFI KLX. You might be able to plug that in and play with the idle mixture to fix the stalling problem.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member

My KLX likes the Juice Box so far...

Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Might try unplugging the TPS and see if it helps? all the street and green sticker FI bikes suffer the same condition, they got them so leaned out down low they cough out easily.

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250s EFI stalls at traffic lights