General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1987 Kawasaki en450 starting problems??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 03:02 AM
Default 1987 Kawasaki en450 starting problems??

Hello, I'm posting on these forums for desperate help because my only transportation is not start nor running.

I posted on other forums, but it hasn't really helped.

Here is the original post and the link:

http://ltd454.proboards.com/thread/5260/turning-over-starting-any-suggestions

How's everybody doing?

My bike turns over, but won't start.

I was in a different town about 25 miles away from my home. When I Went to start my bike, it wouldn't start. I tried to start it quite a few times, and I kept getting close, but just wouldn't start.

I checked the spark plugs, and the right boot was barely on. I pushed it completely on.

I went to start my bike again. It started, and I went about 20 feet. It was misfiring like crazy so I hit the cutoff switch. I checked the spark plugs again, and I noticed that you were able to pull the right boot off without any effort at all. It slid on and off so easily.

I put the bike on the center stand, gas started pouring out underneath the bike near the center stand. (Because I flooded the engine?)

I don't exactly have a lot of money, so I couldnt afford to get the bike towed or anything like that at all.
I checked for spark, and I was getting spark.
Not knowing what else to do, I crimped the right boot to the point where it would stay on the plug.

I had to ride it home, and my bike wouldn't rev over 5k. (Because of the boots?) after I got home, I left the bike in my garage and took the boots off.

After I got my new boots and spark plugs in the mail, I installed them.
I also changed the air filters because they were dirty as sunset.

But now, my bike is not starting at all. It turns over and it feels like it wants to start, but just can't seem to get there.

What would you guys recommend? I'm planning on doing a valve adjustment with my older brother on Wednesday, because I keep reading about how vital it is. But is there anything else anybody can think of?

It has about 17,000 miles on it and I have a feeling the previous owner did not maintain it.