General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

OK, from my experience, the stock radiators are 2 row, stamped aluminum crap. That's why I had a rad guy hand build me a custom brass 3 row for my '95 9r. You can't "rebuild" the stock units, and it's extremely difficult to patch them. They are very fragile and do not like cooling fan blades or rocks. I'd say look for a parts bike and get a gently used one, OR have someone build you one that you can repair. (Only if you plan on keeping the bike; they don't come cheap.)

Old 06-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Depending on where the hole is, just weld it. Your local welding company or your local refrigerator repair service can prolly weld up that aluminum coil/radiator. Good luck. Check out ebay. I just picked up a spare Radiator for $50

Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Rad pic

Here's my baby. Holds an extra quart, and I don't run a rad fan.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
ZX9 rad.bmp (13.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Looks like purple **** in photoshop jeff. Ya got a different image available?

Old 06-13-2009, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Yeah, Drag. Somehow the site won't let me post a pic much bigger than a postage stamp. This is a pic of a pic, so (sorry) it looks like crap. I've posted the rad pic on here before; didn't want to beat a dead horse with it.
Several years ago, I had an overheating problem. Coolant blowing out the reservoir and scary engine heat. I got the metal Muzzy fan, put in fresh coolant, used Water Wetter, thought I was going crazy. The fan nicked a hole in the rear of the stock rad which I tried to epoxy, etc, etc. But, I finally figured out it was a head gasket causing the heat and puke. I decided to fix the cooling issue ONCE AND FOR ALL, so I had the rad made by a local guy who does a LOT of high-end custom work for concours show cars. This guy is probably one of the best in the business; he's been doing rads (honeycombs, antiques, customs, fabulous stuff) about 60 some years. He took measurements from my stock rad, and made 2 three-row panels joined in the middle by an open center channel. When he showed me the finished product, he filled both the old stock rad and the new one with water, then uncorked them at the same time. (I've told this story on here before.) Anyway, the stocker looked like it had a prostate problem; dribbling out. The new one flowed about like a gallon bucket being dumped; amazing. All I could do was laugh. He looked at me and said "notice any difference?" Cost? Um, around 500 bucks. He said he wouldn't touch another one for under 750 due to the labor involved.
I don't run a fan anymore; no need to. The temp stays around 175-180 or so (unless I get stuck in really bad traffic, then I just turn off the bike anyway.) The best part is, with brass frame and copper tubes/fins, I can solder any dings and I'm back in business; I've done it. Plus, it looks pretty sweet with the polished brass peeking out the side ducts (large on the '94-'97 9r's.) Add some braided stainless on the hoses and it's impressive, even if it is just a porky old stock 9. You won't see too many like this one. I'll post a better pic or two when I get a chance. (Anyone) feel free to PM me for the guy's name and address. I doubt he'll do another though, unless the money is right.
Sorry to bore any of you who remember this story. Not trying to bogart the post...