General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

im a wuss....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Go back to driving cars

BLESPHEMY

Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by randaroo
wow, thank you. Your words have really helped.
Ok, you really want to ride? Go do a riding course, then decide if you need another bike. Sorry if I seemed a little harsh before but the last thing you need on a bike is little or no confidence in your own abilities.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whitehendrix
BLESPHEMY
It's spelled Blasphemy

Old 10-15-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey chick,

Here is riding tips from one chick to another. First let me share with you that when I was introduced to motorcycles (age 16 I suppose), I was horrible at driving them! I put my ex boyfriend's CBR into the bushes b/c I could not remember which one was the brakes and which one was the clutch. LOL!

One thing that helped me was whenever I bought my first bike at age 20 (2003 Suzuki Katana 600) was a rider safety course. My fiance at the time recommended that he and I attend a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. We both took it and not only will the course fine tune the skills you already have but it will make you a lot more confident out there on the road.

Regardless of how long you have been riding you should always assume that there is someone out there to hit you and there is always going to be debris and sand in the road. Yes, it is fun to break loose and haul *** sometimes but its not always feasible and safe everytime.

One thing you should never do when you get on the bike is FEAR THE BIKE. You must RESPECT the bike. Now I use fear and respect in these aspects because fear of the bike is what you have described in earlier posts. Respect for the bike is getting on there, having a good time, and acknowledging there are hazards associated with being a motorcyclist.

The unfortunate reality of being a bike rider is that you will spill. It's just a matter of when, where, how many times, and how bad it is. These all can be controlled (not eliminated) by perfecting your riding skills. I've been in 3 accidents myself. First one wow.. i'm really ashamed to admit this one but I thought I had my kickstand down, dropped my bike on top of me and burned the heck out of my leg. Spent a week out of work because burn was so significant. Hence the reason why we should not ride in shorts!!!!! 2nd time I spilled was when I was leading our pack through some twisty roads in the country. I was going about 70mph through a turn hugging the edge of the curve when I hit a patch of sand and slid out. Came out with no injuries whatsoever but bike had broken clutch. 3rd time was on my Ninja about a week and a half ago. It was night time and I was making a turn into a major highway alongside another car in a two lane turn lane. Car did not see me and merged into me. I put it in the grass. Brushed my baby and myself off and kept riding.

This is not to say that any of this will happen to you but you will go down. Don't be scared of it. Just be prepared when it does, like wearing your PPE everytime regardless, and you will be ok. Try having your husband coach you to help you overcome your fears.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

It's spelled Blasphemy
close enough for me to understand. lol

Nicely said chik636

Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member

MSF course before anything else. Then do these exercises.

Slow speed riding, feet up at walking pace. Keep the throttle constant and use the clutch and rear brake to vary the speed between a slow walk and a very slow walk.

When youve got that, use the technique you've just learned to ride figure eights. Feet up, full lock to full lock. You should be able to do 5, a U turn, and five in the opposit direction without putting a foot down.

From about 30 mph, brake to stop on a line. Pull the clutch in and keep it in as you slow. Use both brakes - about 70% front brake, 30% rear. As you slow, keep the clutch in but shift down so that you have a gear selected that matches your speed in case you need to accelerate again. As you slow past walking speed, ease the front brake and stop on just the rear brake to eliminate any chance of a slow speed front wheel lock up as the weight transfer diminishes.

Using basically the same technique, practise emergency stops.

You can then control the bike well enough to be on the road. Slow speed control is the key to all motorcycle control. Get that and you've got confidence that you can start, stop, and steer. Most drops are slow speed, so you'll also have greatly reduced your chances of dropping your bike.

Read Motorcycle Roadcraft for advice on coping with and positioning for traffic and road hazzards.

All bikes get blown about. It's more about the aerodynamics and steering geometry than the weight. Sports bikes, especially fully faired ones, are worse than most. Your choice of bike is pretty good as a bike to learn on.

Keep your current bike for about a year and 10,000 miles. Learning to ride properly takes time and effort, and you can't do it on your own, so get that MSF course booked. Don't use you husband as a coach. Either he'll bottle it, he'll (very likely because he's not a coach) teach you the wrong things, or you'll end up getting divorced.

Then next year or the year after you'll be able to be the sportsbike chick that you want to be.

Rob

Last edited by williamr; 10-16-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, you really want to ride? Go do a riding course, then decide if you need another bike. Sorry if I seemed a little harsh before but the last thing you need on a bike is little or no confidence in your own abilities.
the last thing i need is for your insufficient comment while i was expressing concerns of mine when it comes to riding. Sorry if thats a little harsh.

my husband and I did take the riding course before we even bought the bikes.
i have been riding more and getting used to it. I have been riding w/o my gloves for now so i can feel the bike. That helped a lot. I could feel what i was doing and get to know my bike.

thanks for all the advice you guys....i'm finally feeling more comfortable

Old 10-17-2008, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member

yes, maverickaus.. i know. i'm usually the grammar **** here, but i'm only human.
i'll be sure to triple-check every post from now on.

i was slightly annoyed at such a statement to a fellow rider. we're here to support each other, not chastise and critique, with no regard to spelling.. (most of the time.)

Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

alright kiss and make up you two or three.

J/K hehehe thread on!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

randaroo... some advice

Guys are dicks.. as a woman you either have to grow one and leave your feelings at home or either stay at home lol. This is a male dominated sport. You will have people like that. To be honest, guys aren't going to have much respect for a woman rider who comes on here whining about how poor their riding skills are and how scared they are of riding. Suck it up and get out there! Shut them up when they see your madd skill. Show them you can ride the F^&k outta that bike!

If you need advice we will coach you though it. There are many great suggestions already listed here. I saw where you took the MSF course. Great! That was a giant leap into becoming a better rider! Stay dilligent about your riding and I promise you, you will become an excellent rider and your cool sportbike chick you have always wanted to be! Cheers!