Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-motorcycle-discussion-66/)
-   -   im a wuss.... (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-motorcycle-discussion-66/im-wuss-24805/)

randaroo 10-10-2008 12:56 PM

im a wuss....

so yeah...i don't like my bike :( I get scared riding over 40 b/c the wind is blowing me around it feels like. i like riding though. I feel like every car is out to get me and i can't fully enjoy the bike. I really wanted a ninja bad and we didn't get them b/c we got theses bikes to learn on, but i think that may be hindering me because i want a sports bike and not that standard bike i got.
I road my husbands vx 800 last night and i loved it....now i'm jealous.
I was thinking of maybe selling my bike and trying to buy a ninja 500 for extra weight for when i'm riding and its windy. gosh...i dunno what to do :(

JRock420 10-10-2008 01:09 PM

well first of all,, you if your not comfortable then that bikes not for you... Being safe is being comfortable with your bike... what kind of Bike you riding now ??

hoedogg 10-10-2008 01:49 PM

you should feel like every car is out to get you that keeps you safer and more alert. as far as weight of a 500 keeping you more stable aint gonna help. just take yuor time and stay away from traffic areas slowly get used to it. heck with my first sport bike took me a week just to get to 3rd and 4th gears. baby steps girl, baby steps. were here to help anytime you wanna talk about it:)

OMalley912 10-10-2008 09:14 PM

Nor worries roo. We've all been there. Sometimes the expectations are higher than should be. It takes time to get comfortable. When it all clicks and you hanging off it around the twisties, it's the best feeling in the world. Just have patience and if it's something you want , take it slow and steady. There's been times on my bike I was all over the place and couldn't ride worth a damn, just step back, re-group and keep smiling!

whitehendrix 10-10-2008 10:03 PM

my trick is to stay loose on the bike. don't fight the wind or whatever, but don't let it control you, either.. i'e ridden in weather on an 03 R6 that would make grown men cry. i mean.. very nasty nasty dangerous stuff. thats a light bike and uber wind and cold, intense rain makes for a challenge.. but with every 50mph gust i got across my side, i just let the bike wander so as to not fight it and break traction.

as far as cars. i do NOT trust a single one of them. part of the learning curve is to adapt an leave yourself an out should someone choose to close a door on you..
-leave yourself an open window. just 2 extra feet on the side of the road.. 10 extra feet off the bumper in front of you.. even tho that poses it's own risk with greed drivers trying to squeeze into the gap you've left.

you'll be able to tell after riding for a bit who who don't have to babysit and who you should just let pass or whatever..

you're not a wuss. you're playing it safe, and theres nothin wrong with that. if you went out there overconfident, that results in bad times and whatnot most of the time.

give it a few weeks on unpopulated roads at low speed. the tradeoff for less people on backroads is more animals and more peoplewho aren't vigilant for traffic sometimes when pulling out of their driveway.. they're used to the road being open..

were here for ya tho.. keep doin what you're doin.

randaroo 10-10-2008 11:39 PM

thanks guys.
i'm riding a kwasaki 305.
i was watching my hubby ride home from work today (i was behind him) and he looked so good and i am just wanting that feel of confidence to start riding to work and school.
yeah i guess with me being a girl i'm always going to be more pre-cautious vs. guys..no offense but my husband is not as cautious as i am. sunday we are gonna go riding back roads and stuff.

The other day i went to the gas station alone and i hit this crazy thing in the road(it was getting dark and i didn't see it) and i almost feel off. I held my bike and handled it good i guess b/c i didn't fall.
also, i don't want to be the girl on a standard bike
i wanna be that hot chick on the sports bike that makes you go owwwwwwww lol

Dragone#19 10-11-2008 04:19 AM

Just get comfy with your ride as mentioned. Takes time for some people. Enjoy the ride,

BigRig18Wheeler 10-11-2008 05:43 AM

I agree with everyone..... What year 305 is it? The older ones, all half fairing bikes, don't weigh much, (360 lbs) but they have a funky weight distribution. Combine that with the older bias tires, and she can feel a little squirrely especially to a newer rider. A newer model 500 would probably be a lot more comfortable to you, and with the added stability feeling of the ride, would inspire you to have more confidence.

On the 305, make sure you keep the right amount of air in the tires, she might feel loose, but try to trust the bike a little more.

MaverickAus 10-11-2008 10:02 PM

Go back to driving cars

randaroo 10-13-2008 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by MaverickAus (Post 331055)
Go back to driving cars

wow, thank you. Your words have really helped.