General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Have you ever labored with the idea of keeping or selling your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Question Have you ever labored with the idea of keeping or selling your bike?

I've got a 2003 1600 Classic that I bought used a few years ago at a decent price, it has low mileage and has been almost trouble free for the most part. The previous owner had added quite a few pricey extras to the bike already and I've since added LeatherLyke removable saddlebags and Harley chrome wind deflectors on the front forks.

This bike was a good purchase because I got an almost new bike with super low mileage with lots of added extras and it was really cheap. This bike was a lot of bang for the buck, no regrets.

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of getting a hot new bike either this year or next year, since I turn 50 next year I thought that maybe it would be a nice gift to myself.

I thought that my next bike would be a Harley touring bike but that's recently been knocked off my list by the new Victory Cross Country. What a bike! But even though these new Victory bikes are a bargain next to the Harleys, I would still end up spending a pile of cash at the end of the day.

This is where that little voice in the back of my head (the voice of reason) is saying, there's really nothing to complain about with your current ride so why dump it for another bike stupid? Especially when the newer/sexier bike is going to be way more money.

You guys have probably done like me and did a lot to your bike to get it just right for you. After you've got the bike to this point, it seems kind of crazy to get rid of it. Have you ever found yourself kind of tied to your bike after investing so much time and money into it?

So, after spending the last couple of weeks fantasizing about buying a big expensive new bike, I'm now not 100% sure that that's going to be what I end up doing in the end.

The only things that I don't care for on the 1600 Classic are the lack of after-market stuff(not a biggie), the looks of the shaft-drive and the looks of the OEM engine guard (that's only superficial, just cosmetic, no big deal).

Oh, but then there's the OEM seat that's a real POS, I almost forgot about that one. Now, what I have to do is try to decide if I should go ahead and get myself a Mustang seat or not. I never did get one in the past because they were quite pricey for us Canadians but I just found one online for $400.00 USD and that's a LOT LESS money then what I was expecting.

I bought AirHawks for the rider and pillion seats last summer and they work okay but I think a good seat is still in order. Have any of you 1600 Classic owners out there had good success with the Mustang seat?

Here's a link to the seat that I was looking at:
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...lid=formselect

So, I'm now at a crossroads, I've got to make up my mind, do I add a new seat to my 1600 Classic and keep it for another 3-5 more years or do I just stop spending on it all together?

The bad thing about the Victory Cross Country is that right now it's the "hot/new" bike on the scene and even if you had a big wad of cash to blow, they have a bit of a waiting list here in Canada from what I've heard. Also, they might need a year or two to work out the bugs and maybe they'll offer ABS in the next couple of years, that would probably be worth waiting for.

Plus, you might see a few of these being sold secondhand in a few years from now and get a much better deal in the process. All stuff for me to think about over the next little while.

Have any of you out there in motorcycle-land gone through this crossroads of either keeping your present ride or riding off with a sexier, younger hottie?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

riding off with sexier,younger hottie, sounds good welcome to KF

Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmmm welcome to the forums, you do know that there is a disorder called MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) and that it's ok to have more than one right?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Thumbs up

"there is a disorder called MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) and that it's ok to have more than one right?"

I never really considered keeping it and having a second bike as well but that might actually make sense since I won't get a whole lot back from selling off the 1600 Classic. It's worth more to me then what I could sell it for.

I guess the extra insurance costs would be worth it in the long run. I could have the Victory Cross Country for when I want more wind protection and use the 1600 Classic for when I feel like driving something a little bit more stripped down.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

are you putting 1500 miles or more in a weekend on the 1500? If you do, then get the seat that you require. Otherwise keep it and enjoy since you really are comfy with it for the most part. You could also check the oem parts fiche on the vn2000 for example to see if it would fit for less $'s. Good luck and welcome to KF

Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Hmmmm welcome to the forums, you do know that there is a disorder called MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) and that it's ok to have more than one right?
is that what i have???
the trick is getting them in the garage with out the wide knowing. lol

sitting on 3 bikes right now looking to pick up 2 more.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If it was me (and it is) I'd keep the old bike, especially if you know every nut and bolt. Of course, I keep my vehicles until they give new meaning to "Antiques Roadshow"....

Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

and if the wife b1tches???wo bikes?

Old 03-20-2010, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I usually keep things till they fall apart, then noone else wants them and I cant sell it. But I am looking to upgrade to a newer model eventually. Let us know what you decide, and get some pics up. Welcome to KF!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 AM
1st Gear Member

i was just offered 2000 for my 1982 750 ltd. it was sitting outside my work (a gas station) and the guy first inquired who it was. When i said it was mine he offered me 2000 on the spot.... even though this is waaaaay above what I have in the bike i refused. I could not bare the thought of losing my baby and also the realization that i couldnt replace it for that amount of money. I pretty much stole it when i got it and I will never get rid of it unless it is actually stolen from me. My wife accuses me of running a bike graveyard in our backyard and to tell you the truth... she is right.