How long are you planning on keeping your KLX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default How long are you planning on keeping your KLX?

I was thinking about this as I was lifting up my KLX from knee deep mud. This bike takes a lot more beating than my other bikes. I ride about 60 miles each way on the super slab at 70 mph+ to get to the closest legal off road trail park. Then the bike gets ridden in mud, dirt, gravel, uphill, downhill, motocross track...etc. I usually go off roading alone on my day off during the week so breaking down is not an option. Now I love this bike. It amazes me how good the bike is On AND Off road. It's incredibly fun to ride on the backroads and does pretty damn well on the super slab. It certainly is not a Husky but it's off road capabilities are certainly above my own. In another words the bike is a keeper. Normally any bike that I like this much, I probably would keep for 5 or 6 years minimum. But, I was thinking, considering the type of usage, it would not be the kind of bike I would ride until the wheels fall off. I was thinking maybe in 2 or 3 years, I would trade it in on another new bike just like it. What are your plans?

Old 09-12-2006, 03:09 AM
Default RE: How long are you planning on keeping your KLX?

Probably keep it for a good while. Maybe when I pay off my truck will I spend some money on another bike...

Or I might just rebuild the tattered remains of this thing and keep on riding

Im not all that hard on it ( I dont think) Its primarily an irrigating/cow herding rig. The maximum commute is 10 miles, so Im not racking up the miles on it. When I ride on my track, Its 2nd gear and Im working on keeping it in the 6 grand range all the way around the track (Revving higher in the breif straight aways) so Im not just beating the motor over the head...

I hope it lasts as long as my sled I have now, and as long as my old sled did (10 years, still in the work force). I know dirt bikes and snowmobiles aren't direct comparisons, but as toys... I hope they last me till I stop having fun with em

Old 09-12-2006, 03:14 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

When I buy something the only reason I ever get rid of anything is when its easier to buy something new rather than fix something up. So for me this bike will be with me for years and years to come, and who know maybe in 20 years I will still have a mint condition KLX to add to my 26 year old moped, oh wait then the moped will be 46 years old, and the KLX will be 20 years old, man I hate math

Old 09-12-2006, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Probably a while. I was looking at street bikes for a while then i saw this KLX and fell in love. It is the perfect bike for me cause i live in a big city so i can ride it unfortunately i cant do any off road riding unless i throw it in the truck and drive for 2 1/2 hours. Only been offroad 2 times and managed to break both handguards it sure was fun

Old 09-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Man I feel for guys that have to drive a long way just to find places to ride, here is a ride report in case you didn't know where I live and it also reminds me what I have. Enjoy. All starting 2 miles from town.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_50222/tm.htm

Old 09-12-2006, 03:42 AM

never sell,,,,,,just add MORE to the TOYBOX!!

Old 09-12-2006, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Man I feel for guys that have to drive a long way just to find places to ride, here is a ride report in case you didn't know where I live and it also reminds me what I have. Enjoy. All starting 2 miles from town.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_50222/tm.htm

Man do you ever work?? [&:]

Old 09-12-2006, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking 50-60K miles or after the second top end rebuild breaks....... then it'll be time to part her out. I like old reliable technology.

EDIT: If it was a Husky; one maybe two years at most

Old 09-12-2006, 05:24 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

As long as I can keep her running good and she does everything I want, I keep. The hard choice for me would be if I ever got a 2nd bike, would it be something completely different, like Marty's V-Strom, or would I get something in the same category, but maybe a few notches up on the performance scale, like a TE510'ish bike, maybe a KTM 525 EXC. Whatever the choice, it would have to be street legal. Regardless, I don't plan on doing anything drastic for at least 2 years. The KLX250S is plenty capable of delivering enough pain for now, I'll need time to work my way up to the bigger badder bikes.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I ain't ever selling mine unless I get good enought to warrent buying a Gas Gas, even then I'd keep the KLX for on road [8D]

Quick Reply: How long are you planning on keeping your KLX?