General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

fees on used bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Default fees on used bike

i am going to get a used ninja 250r and i was wondering about how much the fees (registration fee, title fee, etc.) are going to add up to.
P.S.
i live in houston, texas in case anyone knows if different fees apply in different cities and/or states.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Default RE: fees on used bike

I just bought a used Kawasaki Ninja 500 R as a starter bike a couple months back and I'd really suggest that if you haven't ridden before that you'll quickly find that a 250 is not going to make you happy within a very short time. The engine's just too small. I rode them in a Motorcycle Safety training class to get my license. The Ninja 500R has some speed and power to it but its not a monster bike that'll be too powerful and send you flying over the front tire the first time you rev the throttle a little further or more suddenly than you planned or squeeze the brake lever too quickly. Obviously I'm not an expert on this stuff, but its just a thought.

I can't tell you what the fees are in Texas, but the big cost will be the one-time sales tax if you buy it out of state and don't get charged by the seller at the time you make the purchase. Plates aren't expensive and the rest is standard annual or bi-annual fees, at least here in New Jersey, and those costs aren't too bad here($30 or $35 bucks or something). If you buy from an in-state dealer they'll probably handle all that registration, tags and title stuff for you and tack it on to the sales price.

They probably have that information on the Texas Motor Vehicle Commission's web-site and I suppose a lot of people who don't pay sales tax to the seller when they purchase a used bike tell the Motor Vehicle people that they paid a lot less than they really did so they don't have to pay the government as much sales tax, but its also probably technically illegal to do that.

But then jay-walking's illegal too -- and I actually know a guy who's doing 20 years in San Quentin for that!!!!

Old 10-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Fees should not be much. TX vehicle tax is 6%, plus reg, etc....

So if you pay $2500 for the bike, all the fees should run around $280.00 or so..... I am guessing.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

The 250 is a cool bike but you probably will outgrow it. I upgraded to ZX7R within 7 months. But I miss the 70MPG that my 250 got. I think after riding for a few years I can appreciate the 250 for its commuting potential. The bigger bike gets it done though, can't argue with more HP. Hopefully I will upgrade again soon. Sorry I have nothing to say about the fees.