General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Do you have to crash your bike once?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 03:17 AM
Default RE: Do you have to crash your bike once?

you will drop it thats just life everone goes down at sometime trust me i still have the rocks in my back it hurts like hell

Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome, I fall down at least once a year.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: arrowwhead

I have to disagree with everyone. I think it's unfair to say that it's bound to happen. Are the odds in favor of you crashing ... of course. But so are they when driving a car. But will it?

If you're a safe rider and realize that you're the little man on the street and expect for people to be stupid, their is no reason why you should expect to crash. Of course their is only so much you can do, so run through scenarios in your head and think of what you would do in different situations. This may sound goofy, but it's true and it works.

Alot of times people wrech their bikes because they don't know what to do in a situation. The other day I got run off the rode by a semi on the highway going about 80 mphs and all I could think of was "let off the clutch, DON'T grab a hand full of brake and stay CALM" I've even gotten run off the road by your safe, trusty UPS driver. And it's funny, I've run through situations in my head over and over again.... and it paid off.

What I'm trying to say is accidents are unavoidable, but it's how you react and prepare for them before they happen that will save your butt and your bike. No laying her down in the garage is a totally different matter. Sometimes a little carelessness can make you pay. What your doing and how you ride make a huge differenct too. Iif your riding at 100+ MPH or doing wheelies ... then yea, you're going to crash your bike.

Noone "has" to crash at any point ... not sooner ... or later. Be safe, smart, know your limits and always be prepared.

I've know a few guys who have been riding for 30+ yrs who have yet to hurt their babies and never crash. With any luck, I can be one of them. It doesn't have to happen. JMO

I'll still think it will happen. Like I said in my post earlier, I rode for 29 years without crashing until now. No one else was involved, just be and an oil slick.

I agree with the be safe, smart, know you limits and always be prepared. You just don't know if the other people on the road are.
I think another factor is how many miles do you ride a year. If you only put 2-3k on a bike a year, odds are lower to crash unless stupidity is involved, yours or someone elses. Some people put miles on their bikes. I put about 13k a year. That's more than I put on my Explorer. I think I only put 3k on it last year.

I also think some you of you are catagorizing dropping your bike in the driveway as crashing. Ain't the same.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: KevyzToy

ORIGINAL: arrowwhead

I have to disagree with everyone. I think it's unfair to say that it's bound to happen. Are the odds in favor of you crashing ... of course. But so are they when driving a car. But will it?

If you're a safe rider and realize that you're the little man on the street and expect for people to be stupid, their is no reason why you should expect to crash. Of course their is only so much you can do, so run through scenarios in your head and think of what you would do in different situations. This may sound goofy, but it's true and it works.

Alot of times people wrech their bikes because they don't know what to do in a situation. The other day I got run off the rode by a semi on the highway going about 80 mphs and all I could think of was "let off the clutch, DON'T grab a hand full of brake and stay CALM" I've even gotten run off the road by your safe, trusty UPS driver. And it's funny, I've run through situations in my head over and over again.... and it paid off.

What I'm trying to say is accidents are unavoidable, but it's how you react and prepare for them before they happen that will save your butt and your bike. No laying her down in the garage is a totally different matter. Sometimes a little carelessness can make you pay. What your doing and how you ride make a huge differenct too. Iif your riding at 100+ MPH or doing wheelies ... then yea, you're going to crash your bike.

Noone "has" to crash at any point ... not sooner ... or later. Be safe, smart, know your limits and always be prepared.

I've know a few guys who have been riding for 30+ yrs who have yet to hurt their babies and never crash. With any luck, I can be one of them. It doesn't have to happen. JMO

I also think some you of you are catagorizing dropping your bike in the driveway as crashing. Ain't the same.
no not the same at all.... thats just plain user error......