Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather lube

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Leather lube

I've never really been impressed with most of the leather care products out there. I've used Lexol, Sno-Seal (has petroleum distillates), and many other lanolin-based protectants, including Zymol (which is supposedly all natural ingredients.) With most of them, the ingredients include some type of petroleum product which helps emulsify the wax or lanolin or "secret ingredient." Most of the lube "coats" the leather, but doesn't really soften and protect it.
The other day, I tried some Obenauf's LP. The stuff is made of beeswax and propolis (which is the stuff bees make when they "process" honey.) No artificial or petroleum distillates which destroy the leather fibers!
The LP stuff is like butter. It will melt with the heat of your hands, as you rub it into the leather. Initially, it will kind of "sit on top" of the leather (Oh no; just like all the others!) but if it's pretty warm (like in SW Ohio) it soaks into the leather after an hour or so, and the leather feels like it's been "re-hydrated." You can use a hair dryer or Peet's dryer if need be. Obenauf also makes a thinner lube, but the LP really works to restore the feel. It will darken natural; lighter shade leather (i.e. work boots), but in a good way, IMHO. I also applied to my car seats (leather; not vinyl) and it really helped them.
Highly recommended: www.obenaufs.com.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i am still doing the the warm damp wash cloth wipe down my self. leather being a hide asorbs a little of it surroundings wheather it be sweat, oils from your skin or rain. keep it clean and constantly being used it will last a life time... almost.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Murphys Oil Soap will clean it and condition it...oh yea smells good too if that counts!!

Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Murphy's Oil Soap. That's a new one on me.

Murphy® Oil Soap Original FormulaMurphy's® trusted natural and gentle cleaning power is possible with a biodegradable and phosphate-free formula. We understand you want to learn more about its contents, so we have displayed our product ingredients as well as their purpose in the formula. For more information, contact us at 1-800-486-7627

Ingredient (INCI name) Purpose
Water---- Consistency
Sodium Tallate---- Cleaning Agent
Cymbopogon nardus (citronella) oil---- Pleasant Scent
Lauramidopropylamine oxide ----Cleaning Agent
Tetrasodium EDTA-----Maintains product stability

These ingredients are basically all natural, too. The Citronella will help repel the bugs! Wonder if it keeps them off at 70mph?

Not sure Murphy's will actually HELP the leather, but shouldn't hurt it, and will keep it clean. Good call, ZX!

EDIT: You know, after thinking about those ingredients (check out each one via Google) I'm not sure what the hell Murphy's actually does for wood?? EDTA is a surfactant, Laura--and Sodium Tallate are "softeners," Citronella oil might keep out termites(??), and water certainly doesn't do much. Maybe it just cleans the wood surface a little?? WTF??

Last edited by jeffzx9; 08-07-2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Think too much....
Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL ZX9!!! Murphys on wood?...**** id try it wonder if i would break out???LOL

Old 07-08-2022, 12:00 PM
Exclamation Washcloth?

Originally Posted by hoedogg
i am still doing the the warm damp wash cloth wipe down my self. leather being a hide asorbs a little of it surroundings wheather it be sweat, oils from your skin or rain. keep it clean and constantly being used it will last a life time... almost.

it seems as though you think like I do… I figured warm water would be good for the leather, but everywhere I read says you need to avoid water…

I don’t have a motorcycle, I have perforated leather seats in my Lexus I just got that are kinda crispy and I want to moisturize them before they actually tear

i tried lexok because it was like the highest reviewed thing on Amazon, but it didn’t seem to do anything… now I’m looking at other options.

im in Daytona Beach, all so it’s hot and humid pretty much all year. I do have a canopy in my driveway that I park under and sunshade for the windshield, but I need to try and turn back the clock on these seats. (Sorry for the rant)