New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New rider with questions on GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Noc
Default New rider with questions on GEAR

Hi all, newly licensed rider here, waiting to take MSF, doesn't have a bike (friend's cousin has a 500 that I might take off his hands), but first and foremost, want to seek some guidance on gear!

Personally I find this the most subjective but also the most complicated topic.

I decided that if I was going to ride a motorcycle, I'd focus first and foremost on making sure I had the right equipment to ride in.

To this extent, there are so many brands out there with this advantaged and that advantage that I'm totally confused.

I was wondering if people could express some thoughts about their top 3 picks for companies that make helmets, gloves, jackets, pants and boots. I'm not too concerned about cost as I'd be happy with a lighter wallet if I end up every day at home alive and in one piece. Having said that if the only home I could come back to is under a roof made of cardboard, than that would suck to. So I think hopefully you all get my point on cost.

As I said, it's definitely a subjective topic, but primarily I would be looking for: 1) reputation; 2) quality (kinda goes hand in hand with rep.); and 3) effectiveness (at doing its job when the **** really hits the fan).

I'm guessing that leather is going to show up quite a bit, but since it can get fairly warm in the summer, I'm willing to shell out for different gear for different seasons (ideally "summer" and "rest of the year"). Also, thoughts on wear to spend the most money on? #1 I imagine might be the helmet, but I'm lost after that...

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Noc, as you mentioned, gear is a subjective topic.

I have a Z leather one piece made for me back in 1990 that has held up exceptional. Patches and repairs were not too bad either. I think that they did a great job on repairs and with good customer service. Then all of a sudden it shrunk on me. Had to find something cheap and off the shelf. Ordered two Pakistan suits (one of them was labeled Fieldsheer). The Fieldsheer feels good, the other paki suit is abit large (makes me feel like a teen age mutant turtle.), but I bought both for $600 new. The fieldsheer for hot days (nice ventilation), and the off brand for January rides or cold track mornings. Both suits have not been ground tested as of yet.

Helmets and Gloves from AGV seem to fit me well and have held up for me since 1990 as well.

I went with SIDI vertigo corsa boots on this time around. I love the moccasin feel of the Z custom boots, but the ankle support was lacking. (1990 made to fit boots). A 3 month full cast made me think more on ankle protection over comfort. lol

there are a lot of good equipment out there, good luck in your decision.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

FIrst point - think about a 250 rather than a 500 to learn on. YOu'll learn a lot more.

For gear - it's subjective. I don't go for brands. I prefer textile to leather for the road - it's more waterproof, more comfortable and more convenient, and I've never had a textile jacket abrade in a spill to the point where I've suffered any skin damage, even with high speed spills and long slides. Get a jacket with CE rated impact armour including shoulder, elbow and back protection. That means that you put the armour on every time you put the jacket on. Make sure the jacket's long enough to cover the hips.

Full face helmet, always. Cheaper ones actually offer just as good protection as expensive ones, sometimes better, so concentrate on the fit above anything else, then on ventilation. Don't buy without trying for size. An open faced helmet would have left me missing half of my face a few years ago when I slid down the road on it.

Gloves - again I like a textile glove with leather palm for grip and a hard knuckle guard. Fingers are usually leather. Check the fastenings at the wrist won't let the glove be ripped off. Get gauntlet type gloves, but when it rains you must be able to tuck the glove inside the sleeve of your jacket or water running down your sleeve will fill your glove.

Boots should be high enough to protect the front of the shin and solid enough to prevent the ankle from being twisted. That can make the difference between being able to remount and ride on and being carted off to A&E with a severe sprain or even a spiral fracture.

Leg protection as for the jacket,with knee armour. I don't wear leg protection unless it's raining, when I carry a pair of lightweight breathable waterproofs - in over 40 years and a few offs I've never done any real damage to my legs, but I'm not suggesting you do the same.

Re-proof your riding gear every six months or so. Outdoor activity shops are the best places to get a re-proofing spray. Water coming through you gear is very uncomfortable and increases the risk of an accident by shifting you focus from your riding.

In general, avoid anything that's too cheap and you'll be OK. If you buy off the web, use local stores first to check the sizing and the detailing.

Rob

Old 06-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.