New rider, used bike: couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Default New rider, used bike: couple questions

Hey guys! I bought a bit of a frankenstein'd Ninja recently, it's a '90 zx-6 chassis, and an '04 engine with 4500 miles on it.Basically, I was wondering;

1) Recently, I tried to start it, and it wouldn't. Sounded weak, wouldn't turn over... Then the console lights started dimming... Tried jump-starting it, didn't work. I'm assuming the battery is dead, but I could be wrong. Thoughts?

2) How would I install frame sliders for this thing, since nobody has frame sliders for a 17 year old bike?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New rider, used bike: couple questions

post some pics so some of us could help u

Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Josh welcome to the forums, it sounds like you need a new battery just so you have a good starting point. And if you are going to get the bike running it will take some cranking and tinkering, so I would also suggest that you get a battery maintainer, that way you can keep the new battery topped off and ready each time you work on it. Sorry I don't know anything about frame sliders, I don't plan of sliding on my frame, and if I do its going to be in the dirt.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Josh, start with the battery and go from there. Let us know what steps your taking so we can help and get some pics.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Make sure your battery connections are good and clean and not corroded. Take a wire brush to them anyway to be sure. Get it charged if the battery is good. I'd like to see pics and hear aboutyou bikes mods. An 04 enginein a '90 Chassis!WOW! Is it a 636 engine?Sounds like a great project/ Hybrid!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey josh Welcome. sounds like you have your work cut out for you.
these guysare leading you in the right direction.

good luck!!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1 pls take pics im intrested how it looks with 04 motor in 90 frame the mounting points nust be custom
ORIGINAL: speedracer138

Make sure your battery connections are good and clean and not corroded. Take a wire brush to them anyway to be sure. Get it charged if the battery is good. I'd like to see pics and hear aboutyou bikes mods. An 04 enginein a '90 Chassis!WOW! Is it a 636 engine?Sounds like a great project/ Hybrid!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Frame sliders aren't too hard to make yourself if you are mechanically inclined. If you goto your local hardware store, most sell nylon bar stock. Buy some of this in 2" (roughly) diameter and get her done. I suppose if you wanted to be really ghetto you could glue knee pucks to your frame spars, buell style.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 PM

I'd like to see pics and hear aboutyou bikes mods. An 04 enginein a '90 Chassis!WOW! Is it a 636 engine?Sounds like a great project/ Hybrid!
I happened to need a mode of transit, and I saw it on craigslist... I know NOTHING about bike tech, so it'll be an interesting journey from here... From what I understand, it's just a 600, the guy just happened to have around, and plopped it in his '90. It has some sick effect lights, not sure if I'm keeping them or not, though.

I'm gunna grab a new battery as suggested, and update here once I have... Thanks for the help, gang

.josh

Quick Reply: New rider, used bike: couple questions