thinking outside the bag

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default thinking outside the bag

Since I bought and installed the PM rack, I've been thinking about a way to reuse or repurpose the stock tool bag. I had hoped that it would mount under the rack, but I think its unsightly there. So the latest idea is to turn it into a small tank bag. I already have a small amount of the same material - the passenger hand strap.

I'm thinking that it could bolt to the fairing on each side and maybe to the handlebars for a third point of contact.Only issue would be access to the gas tank, but if a quick release was installed on the strap, then it might solve that issue.

Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails thinking outside the bag-img_5095.jpg   thinking outside the bag-img_5097.jpg   thinking outside the bag-img_5099.jpg   thinking outside the bag-img_5114-1-.jpg  

Last edited by mightythree; 09-11-2015 at 02:04 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 09-08-2015, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

You might consider the front fender as well.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

The front fender is an option, but i think i like it better on the tank.

I rode with it as pictured in the thumbnails today without any issue but I'm going to take it to a shoe repair shop to have it sewn to the strap. It should turn out pretty nice. I'll post pics when its done.

Attached Thumbnails thinking outside the bag-img_5084.jpg   thinking outside the bag-img_5085.jpg  
Old 09-09-2015, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I got to be honest here, that sucks. With the small tank as it is needing to fill 3 times in one day that is nothing but in the way dude.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2wheeler
I got to be honest here, that sucks. With the small tank as it is needing to fill 3 times in one day that is nothing but in the way dude.
LOL. Dude, tell me how you really feel. I agree that would suck if that was the final product. Why not re-read the post.

What I like about the idea is that I don't have to buy another bag if I use the stocker in this manner. The final product wont block the gas cap at all. Thanks for your input though. More pics when its done.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

My vote would be on the front fender too, out of the way. I have the PM XL rear luggage rack, I'm not looking at the bike now but I recall 2 of the mounting holes showing in a spacing the rear rack doesn't cover. Maybe you could mount it there using just 2 mounting holes already there. Space is in between the seat and the rack.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2wheeler
My vote would be on the front fender too, out of the way. I have the PM XL rear luggage rack, I'm not looking at the bike now but I recall 2 of the mounting holes showing in a spacing the rear rack doesn't cover. Maybe you could mount it there using just 2 mounting holes already there. Space is in between the seat and the rack.
I've the same rack and you're right again.
This is just an easy mod that meant I didn't have to spend a ton of money.

After I dropped it off at the shoe repair shop, I was confident that the guy that was doing the sewing understood exactly what I wanted him to do. Lesson learned. Always double check. I got there just before closing time and didn't notice it until I got home. I asked him to sew the strap to the edge of the bag and even thought I showed it to him, he sewed it about a half inch away from the edge. I wasn't too thrilled about it but I thought, ok, lets try it and see how it works with the gas cap.

Fortunately, it doesn't interfere with the opening of the gas cap at all. Heck, his mistake might even help to keep it snug to the tank. And at $5.48 for the labor, I think if it works, i'll be just fine with it the way it is now.

Attached Thumbnails thinking outside the bag-img_5127.jpg   thinking outside the bag-img_5129.jpg   thinking outside the bag-img_5130.jpg   thinking outside the bag-img_5131.jpg   thinking outside the bag-img_5132.jpg  

Last edited by mightythree; 09-11-2015 at 01:59 AM.