No longer on the outside looking in!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default No longer on the outside looking in!

Picked up my 07 klx250s [sm=happy046.gif]on Sat from Champion Motorsports in Roswell, NM (they have t's with an alien riding a harley). I beat the dealer up for over a week before they came down to my price. Bought the bike based (almost) soley on the rave reviews from other riders in this forum. It's been hotter than hades down here (106 yesterday) so I haven't gotten to put alot of miles on her yet. So far I love the bike, but the suspension is definatley not set up for a 200lb rider. Ordered a Wolfman enduro tank bag today, the itch to start the mods is driving me crazy. Can't wait till the break-in period is over, I'm ready to take her up the highway into the mountains!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: No longer on the outside looking in!

Congrats bud,hope you enjoy it as much as everyone else here.Have you thought of how your going to break it in yet? I did mine the mototune way and what a difference since i did.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Congratulations on the bike, let the mod obsession begin. Resistance is futile. If you were going to break in the bike using the Mototune method, you have to do it in the first 20-40 miles, otherwise just vary the rpm's and don't red line it. Have fun and stay safe, now all you need to do is to find other guys to ride with and post ride report pictures. Now get on it and that's an order.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

oh no you fell to the dark side huh well anyways congrats on the new ride.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it's too late for mototune, I didn't read the part about the first 20 miles. When I bought the bike the tech was pretty cool and seemed very knowledgable, plus he road a klx300. I asked his opinion on the 2 methods and he said just don't crank on it for long periods of time or stay at the same rpm's for too long. Since I read the part about 20 miles too late (I had put 40 miles on the bike before I decided on mottotune), I started doing the mottotune for the next twenty miles, then kinda gave up since everywhere in town is 35 mph. Now what I'm basically doing on my commute is gas'in it to 40, decelerate to 30, gas back to 40, etc. rpm's bounce from 3,000 to 5,000. Did you change your oil and filter after 20 miles?

Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

My '07 KLX250 was pretty fun out of the box for the first 200 miles. But like everyone else I got the "GO FASTER" bug and when I reached the 600 mile mark things began to get modified. I'm 200lbs - 6'3" and after doing the carb/airbox mods, adding an HMF muffler, I'm totally pleased with the bike. But, like New Mexico it is getting hot here too - 109 degrees in the shade and climbing. I can still go out and ride in the morning up until 11 am. Enjoy it and Have a blast!

Mark
Carefree, AZ

Old 06-27-2007, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

how do you like your hmf..hows your carb info listed work with the hmf/snorkel...what's your elevation?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

It runs strong, no exhaust popping. Elevation is 2600ft. I did put the HMF Quiet Core in to tone it down.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new bike. Let's see some pics!

Old 06-28-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

alien bike with an alien rider perhaps?

Quick Reply: No longer on the outside looking in!