Removing the flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Removing the flywheel

I tried applying the rear brake but that's not holding it all well enough to let it brake loose..

Other than buying the factory tool that sort of looks like an oil filter wrench; if I have a tool made with a couple bolts going down into the holes that are adjacent to the center is that a suitable tool to use?

Old 02-18-2014, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

what gear did you use? first or sixth?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karitane Pete
what gear did you use? first or sixth?
Might have been 5th but I'm almost sure it was 6th

I'll check at a local shop tomorrow and see if either has a tool to do it or can make one

Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Some have used a chain strap (looks like vise grips but with a chain instead of jaws, works similar to the factory tool) and the rear axle to pull the flywheel. others have reported that it didn't work for them.

I think I'm going to try the above first and then resort to a pulley puller.

This thread reminds me that I need to contact cycle pro about sending off my extra flywheel for lightening.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Some have used a chain strap (looks like vise grips but with a chain instead of jaws, works similar to the factory tool) and the rear axle to pull the flywheel. others have reported that it didn't work for them.

I think I'm going to try the above first and then resort to a pulley puller.

This thread reminds me that I need to contact cycle pro about sending off my extra flywheel for lightening.
^^
This is how I removed it last winter when I replaced my engine cases. I couldn't see buying a specialty tool and waiting for it to come. I came up with the chain strap after looking around my workshop. Chain strap did not require too much pressure, and I wrapped a piece of rubber around the flywheel before applying the chain strap. The rear axle is the correct thread for the flywheel and , in my case, this set up worked like a charm.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

When doing my engine , I found an old post from DDT that gave me the rear axle trick.

My engine tear down.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...s-39378/page6/

Quote from my engine rebuild thread.
"The rear axle works like a charm to pull the flywheel. ( on my 07 klx at least) I had already figured out that I could use my vise grip locking chain wrench for a flywheel holder. Now with that holding the flywheel,a bit of heat from the heat gun, the rear axle threaded in to push on the crankshaft, and a few whacks with my had on the ratchet it popped loose.
Ta-effing-da! Thanks DDT, I think he sold his klx and moved on to something bigger over there in Japan, but his valuable little tidbit of information, saved me a little money and most of all a lot of time! Maybe I won't forget the tip this time.
Dan
ddt's thread https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...al-tool-26452/

Name:  IMG_1971.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  163.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1972.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  186.1 KB

Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Rear axle trick did not work for me, could not thread on far enough to really get any pressure.... ended up at the shop for the removal.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought a bolt the same diameter and pitch as the rear axle and it threads all the way through. Once I get the bolt loose I should be good to go

Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Though I was able to lock the back wheel by inserting a 1/2" extension between both sides of the swing arm, I still wasn't able to break the flywheel nut loose..the clutch slips enough to just allow engine to turn over instead of backing off the bolt which specs say should be 90 ftlbs

So I'll get one of these flywheel holders off ebay and do it the right way. It should be just big enough to work...hmm though my machined flywheel is 4.5"-if the original flywheel diameter is larger than the max 4.75" this tool fits there could be a prob

I'll see if there are larger ones for sale

Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I would get the chain vise grip pliers like Dan888 shows. I have one and use it on many different things. The one you show should work but is limited to what other projects it could be used for.

Quick Reply: Removing the flywheel