Starter gear ruins engine cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NEWPARTSRULE
WOW ! Mellow out with the starts, man. Hey Dan, looks like you're getting things lined up.
I would if I could

I just want to clarify that this really isn't a starting issue, it is more of a low RPM issue, which can happen at starting or any other low rpm situation.
IDRIDR said something that made me question if I ever had it do it on a cold start-up . I think the times it did it on start up, may only have happened on hot starts, and hot starts seem like they would be more conducive to the pre detonation thing. High compression , low octane, hot engine. ????????

Last edited by dan888; 12-14-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TNC
You're a resourceful bugger, dan...and cheap.
CHEAP? Nah! Let's go with THRIFTY!!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
You're a resourceful bugger, dan...and cheap.
You already knew that TNC.
Four people and a dog living off one paycheck necessitates the "thriftiness".
Thanks, ol'klx-er.

A long time ago I asked the guy at the hardware store for some "cheap paint". He said "you don't want cheap paint, you want inexpensive paint".

Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

A lot of people don't realize there is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". It might be subtle but it's worth being aware of.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
A lot of people don't realize there is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". It might be subtle but it's worth being aware of.
Very true. Some people get in a bind and just throw money at a problem. I've always appreciated dan's willingness to assess a problem and think outside the box. I've used a couple of his ideas that were both inexpensive and better than stock when completed. If I didn't like him, I wouldn't tease him.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
If I didn't like him, I wouldn't tease him.
I wish I had a nickle for every person that teased me because they liked me!! I'd have about twenty cents.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

From now on I'm going to tip my bike over hard to oil those bearings before I cold start.
good luck
marc

Old 12-16-2012, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmarc
From now on I'm going to tip my bike over hard to oil those bearings before I cold start.
good luck
marc
That's not why the bushings failed, if it were we would all have starter issues.

Just sayin...

Old 12-24-2012, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

The rear axle works like a charm to pull the flywheel. ( on my 07 klx at least) I had already figured out that I could use my vise grip locking chain wrench for a flywheel holder. Now with that holding the flywheel,a bit of heat from the heat gun, the rear axle threaded in to push on the crankshaft, and a few whacks with my had on the ratchet it popped loose.
Ta-effing-da! Thanks DDT, I think he sold his klx and moved on to something bigger over there in Japan, but his valuable little tidbit of information, saved me a little money and most of all a lot of time! Maybe I won't forget the tip this time.
Dan
ddt's thread https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...al-tool-26452/

Name:  IMG_1971.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  163.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1972.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  186.1 KB

Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Its unbelievable how much crap i have taken off of the bike. I have tried to bag, card, and document each part, so I have no trouble re assembling the bike. One I'm not sure if i missed is this one. I just reviewed my before pics, and see that the bolt hole is dirty, so maybe there was no bolt in there?? The engine is cleaned up now on the bench, and I noticed that hole, but couldn't recall what was in there. Can someone look at their bike and let me know if they have any thing in that hole? maybe a pic ?
Thanks, Dan

Name:  IMG_1905b.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  153.5 KB

Quick Reply: Starter gear ruins engine cases