Removing Air Suction Valve System: WHY???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

hook it up to the crank vent hose. Free crankcase evac system !!! massive powah !!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:17 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
It is there because of the catalytic converter. Replace the exhaust and it is no longer working anyways, so it gets removed.
No, this basic design has been on Kawasakis at least since about 1979 before any introduction of a cat converter. I was working part time as a mechanic at a Kawasaki shop, and people would rejet their Kawasaki with this air injection system after installing an aftermarket pipe or muffler without disabling the system. The chromed pipes turned a dark blue for about 12" at the header pipe. Pretty ugly.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
You got ripped off too?

KLX250SF Turbo - YouTube
How many MPB* on that thing?

*Miles Per Bucket

Old 07-31-2014, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
No, this basic design has been on Kawasakis at least since about 1979 before any introduction of a cat converter. I was working part time as a mechanic at a Kawasaki shop, and people would rejet their Kawasaki with this air injection system after installing an aftermarket pipe or muffler without disabling the system. The chromed pipes turned a dark blue for about 12" at the header pipe. Pretty ugly.
Well It was just a guess.... You are suppose to believe every thing you read on the internet!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
The point I was trying to make, is that if heat from running lean doesn't help exhaust gas escape faster (regardless of the power the engine makes), the smog system won't make a difference either regardless of hotter temperatures. Without header wrap (or preferably a high temp coating) the benefit of hotter exhaust gasses is nil.
Explain how there is a difference between hot and hot? If your exhaust runs say 1700° with the air injection and runs 1700° with the wrap, what is the difference? If there is any gain with header wrap or ceramic coating to hold exhaust heat to maintain exhaust velocity it seems that the holding of exhaust heat through the air injector would do somewhat the same thing. But it seems no one has actually shown significant gain from either.

The only reason to remove pollution stuff that makes remote sense is the slight weight loss and the elimination of some stuff in the engine area under the fuel tank. There is no performance gain otherwise.

I was going to remove mine, but then when it came down to it, it was easier to just plug everything back in. As for weight - maybe I skip a few second helpings and save more.

Last edited by klx678; 07-31-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I just read this... Another reason if you are running a chrome exhaust... but then it seems like a lot of those chrome headers turned blue due to lean jetting and the single wall exhaust tubing - the reason why the Japanese used to make them double wall. Of course now on the cruisers they use chrome covers up near the head to eliminate the problem by covering it up.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Not removing the air injection will discolor your expensive aftermarket stainless headers as well.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Lean jetting will do it too. Both run hot. Letting the bike sit and idle for long periods will cause bluing of chrome and discoloration of stainless too.

I will say ceramic coating doesn't discolor. May lose gloss, but stays in color.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

My smog stuff is still on. It doesn't hurt anything and there is no performance to be gained by removing it. Heck, if the OEM muffler wasn't such a restriction and was louder, I wouldn't mind it being a cat converter either. I'm not a tree hugger but unless I get something for it, I don't see the benefit of making things pollute more.

Oh and I ride in shorts all the time. Ride hard even. That dang header pipe is hot so don't touch it. If you don't touch it then it's fine.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Puget Sound eh? Come on down to Dallas and ride in traffic with me @ 104 F ... Like I said - if you don't have tropical or better weather, you won't understand.

Quick Reply: Removing Air Suction Valve System: WHY???