Removing Air Suction Valve System: WHY???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
In the street rod world they are getting both more power and clean burn. More and more in the aftermarket automotive area pollution is a concern for manufacturers due to E-checks. They have to make clean burning high performance parts if they want that big street scene sales.
That's exactly it. The automotive worlds is leaps and bounds ahead of bikes, seems like it always has been too. How long until we started to see ABS brakes in more than just 2-3 models?

The 70s chevy pick up trucks in particular had a huge smog pump added to the belt assembly to reduce emissions. All these fancy ways for trying to reduce emissions caused for a motor that didn't run as well, and didn't pollute FAR less than without the device.

The key is as close to a full complete burn to optimize not only power, but also the lack of pollutants. Yes that comes with fuel injection and more computers to help the engine manage its burn, but if that's what it takes to make more power and less pollutants, that's what it takes.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:41 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
That's exactly it. The automotive worlds is leaps and bounds ahead of bikes, seems like it always has been too. How long until we started to see ABS brakes in more than just 2-3 models?

The 70s chevy pick up trucks in particular had a huge smog pump added to the belt assembly to reduce emissions. All these fancy ways for trying to reduce emissions caused for a motor that didn't run as well, and didn't pollute FAR less than without the device.

The key is as close to a full complete burn to optimize not only power, but also the lack of pollutants. Yes that comes with fuel injection and more computers to help the engine manage its burn, but if that's what it takes to make more power and less pollutants, that's what it takes.
RSM, I'm not sure I agree that the automotive world is leaps and bounds ahead of motorcycle technology. Of course we have to compare similar vehicles within each category and realize that there are some extreme differences in application for each. You can compare power output alone and other elements individually.

Your example of ABS between bikes and cars isn't really a technological argument. When ABS came out, most motorcyclists felt they didn't need or even downright "not want" ABS on their bikes. And when you consider an off road motorcycle probably should not have ABS...or at least not one that cannot be easily disabled...the argument of ABS as a technological feature may not be applicable between cars and bikes in many cases.

Many/most advancements in the car world are often geared toward safety, and many of them aren't that critical in a motorcycle comparison...or at least not necessarily wanted. If the market doesn't demand it...or the insurance companies...LOL!...it's not that such safety technologies can't be applied to a bike...it's that they're often not logical or demanded. And please...I'm not trying to throw safety issues out the window.

Lastly, if we're comparing performance parameters between bikes and cars, do some liter-to-horsepower comparisons in a realistic sense. I say "realistic" because comparing a Bugatti Veyron to even a ZX14 is a little silly. However, think about this. A Veyron is about 1000 horsepower with an 8.0L V-16...with 4 turbochargers. A ZX14 has about 200 horsepower with a 1.4L inline 4. A liter-to-horsepower comparison actually places the ZX ahead of the Veyron...and that's with a normally aspirated engine.

Again, I'll stress that exact comparisons between car technology and bike technology may not even be in the same plane on many issues. A fun discussion, but a blanket statement probably can't realistically be made.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Hey HB...that guy isn't a Texan, so don't besmirch our honor down here by claiming him as such...LOL!
His location marker says North Texas and he wanted me to ride with him in Dallas. Isn't that Texas as well?

As I've said, that head pipe is hot and will be hot whether the smog stuff is working or not. Don't be a baby about it and don't think you'll "fix" it by removing smog equipment.

I burn wood for 100% of my home's heat, a renewable energy source that is carbon neutral, I must be an environmentalist? No, just cheap and like to burn stuff. Sometimes we can accomplish things without even trying.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
RSM, I'm not sure I agree that the automotive world is leaps and bounds ahead of motorcycle technology. Of course we have to compare similar vehicles within each category and realize that there are some extreme differences in application for each. You can compare power output alone and other elements individually.

Your example of ABS between bikes and cars isn't really a technological argument. When ABS came out, most motorcyclists felt they didn't need or even downright "not want" ABS on their bikes. And when you consider an off road motorcycle probably should not have ABS...or at least not one that cannot be easily disabled...the argument of ABS as a technological feature may not be applicable between cars and bikes in many cases.

Many/most advancements in the car world are often geared toward safety, and many of them aren't that critical in a motorcycle comparison...or at least not necessarily wanted. If the market doesn't demand it...or the insurance companies...LOL!...it's not that such safety technologies can't be applied to a bike...it's that they're often not logical or demanded. And please...I'm not trying to throw safety issues out the window.

Lastly, if we're comparing performance parameters between bikes and cars, do some liter-to-horsepower comparisons in a realistic sense. I say "realistic" because comparing a Bugatti Veyron to even a ZX14 is a little silly. However, think about this. A Veyron is about 1000 horsepower with an 8.0L V-16...with 4 turbochargers. A ZX14 has about 200 horsepower with a 1.4L inline 4. A liter-to-horsepower comparison actually places the ZX ahead of the Veyron...and that's with a normally aspirated engine.

Again, I'll stress that exact comparisons between car technology and bike technology may not even be in the same plane on many issues. A fun discussion, but a blanket statement probably can't realistically be made.
I understand that completely, but there is always a transition. Cars had ABS before bikes, cars had fuel injection before bikes. Air bags and seat belts are not YET applicable, but who knows what the future may bring. Cars now a days also have accident avoidance (lasers see the rear of a car coming up fast then assists in braking if the driver is distracted) which could be beneficial to a newbie rider who "freezes" on the bars. Of course with this would need many sensors to know weight of the combined vehicle to be stopped, traction conditions, tire pressures, lean angle etc. etc. as to not lock up the wheels. but i digress

I'm just talking in generalities of course. Gasoline car emissions are also vastly more advanced than motorcycle emissions. Diesel is just recently being forced to undergo emissions systems.

The market is vastly automobiles with gasoline engines, so most of the technology and effort in put into the items that are most used and highly sought after.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I understand that completely, but there is always a transition. Cars had ABS before bikes, cars had fuel injection before bikes. Air bags and seat belts are not YET applicable, but who knows what the future may bring. Cars now a days also have accident avoidance (lasers see the rear of a car coming up fast then assists in braking if the driver is distracted) which could be beneficial to a newbie rider who "freezes" on the bars. Of course with this would need many sensors to know weight of the combined vehicle to be stopped, traction conditions, tire pressures, lean angle etc. etc. as to not lock up the wheels. but i digress

I'm just talking in generalities of course. Gasoline car emissions are also vastly more advanced than motorcycle emissions. Diesel is just recently being forced to undergo emissions systems.

The market is vastly automobiles with gasoline engines, so most of the technology and effort in put into the items that are most used and highly sought after.
I think the Goldwing has an airbag...not sure about any others. Yes, cars have stricter emissions requirements as a rule, so motorcycles won't go there until they absolutely have to.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
His location marker says North Texas and he wanted me to ride with him in Dallas. Isn't that Texas as well?

As I've said, that head pipe is hot and will be hot whether the smog stuff is working or not. Don't be a baby about it and don't think you'll "fix" it by removing smog equipment.

I burn wood for 100% of my home's heat, a renewable energy source that is carbon neutral, I must be an environmentalist? No, just cheap and like to burn stuff. Sometimes we can accomplish things without even trying.
LOL!...HB, for some reason I thought we were refering to klx678, and I was giving him some jazz. klxster is definitely from TX. Sorry 'bout that.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I think the Goldwing has an airbag...not sure about any others. Yes, cars have stricter emissions requirements as a rule, so motorcycles won't go there until they absolutely have to.
Not all Wings have air bags. Motorcycles are starting now, with the cruiser aftermarket starting to make EPA/DOT approved replacement pipes now that the law is starting to clamp down. That was my actual point - the automotive market has tighter enforcement and thus the aftermarket has to make the stuff to suit, bikes don't... for the most part.

No idea about the pokage of fun at me... didn't read the stuff about riding in TX... to damn hot there!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Not all Wings have air bags. Motorcycles are starting now, with the cruiser aftermarket starting to make EPA/DOT approved replacement pipes now that the law is starting to clamp down. That was my actual point - the automotive market has tighter enforcement and thus the aftermarket has to make the stuff to suit, bikes don't... for the most part.
Ever tightening emissions (pollutants and noise) regulations led to the major changes in automobiles. While we scoffed at the initial systems, current systems, FI, CPUs, etc, have led to 2 liter engines making 250+ HP while getting well over 25MPG. Bikes are headed down that same path.

No idea about the pokage of fun at me... didn't read the stuff about riding in TX... to damn hot there for candy asses!
AccurizedŽ

Old 08-08-2014, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, i think the key is to not makethe block off plate as thck as bills, not sure why he does that, oerhaps to prevent warpage???? I say $15 is a good price, so ~$17 shipped?
How would it sound at $17 including shipping and the gasket needed? 1/8" stainless steel with OEM gasket (about a $2.75 part).

I believe it may be doable.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

How would it sound at $17 including shipping and the gasket needed? 1/8" stainless steel with OEM gasket (about a $2.75 part).

I believe it may be doable.
Seems more than reasonable to me. You could start out as such, then when people request a gasket with the kit just bump the price up to ~$20-$25. Some people have a hard time locating gaskets.

Quick Reply: Removing Air Suction Valve System: WHY???