New aluminium fram KLX possibly coming...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New aluminium fram KLX possibly coming...

..well, that's what I thought when watching some of the FIM Enduro Championship on Speed TV the other day. There are 3 categories in the championship, witht eh E1 category being engines up to 250cc 4 strokes. Some French dude was doing quite well in 5th on what looked like an aluminium framed KLX.

I got all excited, so did a bit of research. Turns out is it a French run team that uses Kawasaki's, rather than being a true Kawasaki factory team (although they claim to be Team Green). Anyway, it seems the 250 is a KXF 250 E rather than a KLX 250. If your French is any good check it out here: http://www.pulsion-moto.com/pilotes.htm. So it is probably a motocross KX that has been modified for performance enduro rather than being a full on new KLX. Still, it could be the forerunner to a redesigned KLX250R similar to the re-introduced KLX450R which was essentially a modified KXF450.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

There was a french dealership that raced klx300's in the fim enduro's a few years back. They built all kinds of trick pieces for them like aluminum tanks, swingarms and kx tank\shroud\subframe conversions. I have some relatives who live close to france and I was trying to get a kx conversion kit for my klx some 5-6 years ago but the cost was prohibitive. A couple made it here in the states and a few people were trying to make them but the customer interest wasn't there. The kxf's helped in killing the idea also.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's a video of Laurent Charbonnel, one of the French enduro champions, on a KLX250:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmu8MaDqELM

Ride on
Brewster

Old 03-20-2011, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I hope not...

I'd much rather see a modern KLX in a modern steel frame. Not that I have anything against aluminum frames, but in practice there's really nothing particularly special about them. As a frame material, aluminum certainly has its drawbacks. In any case, there's no denying that aluminum frames are very marketable for a variety of reasons, some based in actual performance, many based on consumer perception.

You might notice that not all manufacturers have jumped on the aluminum frame bandwagon - especially those that cater to the off-road market. There are reasons for this - primarily, steel is an excellent material for dirt bike frames. That's not saying aluminum is not also an excellent frame material, but I certainly don't think it's better than steel, especially for off road use.

In practice, aluminum frames and steel frames weigh about the same for similar performance characteristics (flexibility & strength).

Steel frames and aluminum frames have similar costs to manufacture.

For similar performance characteristics, aluminum frames will be bulkier, making maintenance more difficult.

It is likely that aluminum frames will not last as long as steel frames due to aluminum's lack of a fatigue limit.

When failures happen, aluminum frames are more difficult to repair for the average person.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I should add, the more modern-design "dirty" dual sports the manufacturers can come out with the better. Aluminum or steel frame, mx-based or clean-sheet engine, whatever - just bring them on!

The euros are doing well here, I wish the japanese would too.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

The new Al frame KLX will have the new IMS fuel tank on it. They are working on it as we speak…honest.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
The new Al frame KLX will have the new IMS fuel tank on it. They are working on it as we speak…honest.
LOL!...red, I think there's a comment that has something to do with "pants on fire" that might apply to your statement.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
...And it will be ready for sale in 6 months.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I know, I am beating a dead horse.