Just bought my first street bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Default Just bought my first street bike

Hey Folks,
First post and just wanted to say hello. I just took delivery of an '08 ZZR600....black. They litteraly uncrated the thing and assembled it whileI waited. I have never rode and had really set my sights on a Ninja 500 due to the lower power, and better MPG....butt ungly 80s styling though.Not sure how it is around the rest of the country, but those things have flown out of the dealerships....hard bike to find. At any rate I was concerned about gas because this thing is going to be my commuter 20 miles one way. Both dealerships were sayingthat if I baby it I could expect 55-60 MPG. I thoughtthat was a little lofty, but we will see.

Never been on a bike before, but I just went around my circle (1 mile exactly).Man I have been missing out!!! Im 33 years old, and in my job I have seen plenty of fatalities, so I already have a very healthy respect for street bikes.

I guess my questionsarewere they blowing smoke about thegas mileage, and do you guys think I did OK for a first bike? $7500 OTD.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Just bought my first street bike

That is a pretty good price, you didn't get ripped off by any means. I think thatMPG isoff. I get about 40 something. Congrats on the new ride, and ride safe man.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

You definately shouldn't complain about that price it's grrrrrrrrrrreat for a new one. I gotta ask was seeing "0" (zero) on the odometer crazy? some day I'll know that feeling. Anywho zzrick's right you should get about 40 mpg give or take the best I have ever got was over 44 mpg on a trip. have fun be safe and gear up.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 AM

Yeah I had to doa double take on the odometer...trip meter read .7, and I flipped it to 1. Well I was hoping to get at least 50 MPG, but it is what it is. Thanks guys.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:23 PM

yeah they told me 55-60 at the dealership but i am waiting to run it out and find out myself...76 miles i have put on mine...said 0 on the odometer when i got it...sweet feeling first brand new thing i have ever owned

Old 06-30-2008, 02:18 AM

Hey Lincoln,
Are you breaking in your bike by way of the owners manual, or by way of the "other" method?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:38 AM

i have been trying to stick to what the manufacturer recommended but i have gone over a few times...its easy to do im sure you know...what is the other method?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:12 AM

I have read numerous suggestions that state you should run it hard within the first 20 miles. Here is one mechanics method: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm To be honest, his claim is that it does more harm to follow the Owners Manual.

There were others that stated basically the same thing....not red-lining but certainly not keeping it under 4000 RPM. Just do a search on "motorcycle break in period".

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM

yeah i spoke to someone at the dealership i bought it thru and they said just ride it...and a friend thats a mechanic said the same thing...so thats what im doing...

Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

congrats and enjoy!![8D]

Quick Reply: Just bought my first street bike