bike beginner questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Default bike beginner questions!!!

Hi,

I have a few question that someone might be able to help me with.
I have a zzr600 2007 with about 1400 miles.

Now I was wonderinghow high myrpm's should go on each gear. Is there a limit or a safe point because I know it red lines at about 14,000 and was wondering ifit issafe to go up to 14,000 rpm's on each gear?

Second question is when coming to a light can I just hold in the cluth and shift all the way down to firstand stop? Or should I shift downthen let the clutch and repeat this for all 6 gears?

Third is about how many mpg do you get on a full take ranging from easy riding to hard riding?

Thanks

Old 06-23-2008, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bike beginner questions!!!

Well to answer your RPM question for relaxedeveryday-around town riding you really don't need to go above 8,000 and some might even say that's a bit high but if you're going "***** to the walls" (after your bike is warmed up of course)then you can push it as far as your skill level allows. As for the gears/shifting question when coming to a stop you should beable to come to almost a complete stop w/out using your break at all (techniqely) if you are down shifting at the right RPMs and letting your engine slow you but not too soon so when you let the clutch out your bike feels like it's going to buck you over the handle bars. Side note; you do want to have your break on for safety reasons to let everyone behind you know you'll be slowing down. And I can't think of a time when I've needed to slow al the way to a stop from 6th gear but that's just me. I get around 40 mpg +/- 4 mpg depending how i drive and I just rode the tank to about 150 miles before turning to reserve and then you'll have another 40 mile or so before completely empty. If anyone else has dif. stats I'd be interested to know also. hope that wasn't too much rambling and some help. I'll cork-it now.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:23 AM

No that was a great explination!!!

Thanks alot

One more thing, I just want to make sure that if im in 6th gear coming to a light and I hold in the clutch in that I can shift all the way to first without letting the clutch out then come to a stop.

Hope that makes sense!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 AM
1st Gear Member

YES, you can shift all the way down but if you shift down too fast event w/ the clutch inthe whole time you can get some grinding so if you break to a stop you can just shift from sixth to 1st or neutral w/ no problems. And by the way welcome and post some pix of your baby.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:48 AM
1st Gear Member

You should really keep the gears according to what speed your going anyway ,drop gears slowly, not from 6th to 1st rapidly, in case you need to take off again.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Use your brake (front) instead of your engine to slow you down. It's a whole lot easier to replace pads than to rebuild a motor. If you're racing, that's a bit different; but I don't think that explanation applies here.
Huffy makes some good points^. It's OK to wick out your motor every now and then, but don't make a habit of it.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i would say take the MSF course!! it'll make you better safer rider. if your cruiseing up to a light in 6th gear ( wich is way to high a gear BTW for city street) and drop all those gears down to first then let out the clutch the back wheel will lock and send you skidding for sure. then wich you'll probally loose control yadda yadda yadda, if you don't let the clutch out till stopped then it won't lock upwelcome to KF by the way
ORIGINAL: antisniperspy

No that was a great explination!!!

Thanks alot

One more thing, I just want to make sure that if im in 6th gear coming to a light and I hold in the clutch in that I can shift all the way to first without letting the clutch out then come to a stop.

Hope that makes sense!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jeffzx9

Use your brake (front) instead of your engine to slow you down. It's a whole lot easier to replace pads than to rebuild a motor. If you're racing, that's a bit different; but I don't think that explanation applies here.
Huffy makes some good points^. It's OK to wick out your motor every now and then, but don't make a habit of it.
a certain amount of engine braking is essential to proper wear of the piston rings in order for them to seal correctly.
engine braking from 6000rpm down is pretty harmless to these engines -

Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

i agree with HOEDOGG, some more advanced courses will ake you a much faster/better/safer rider and will only allow you to have more fun.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Yeah, Koh; you're right. What I see newer riders tend to do, though, is engine brake nearly to the point of wearing out piston rings before brake pads. (But it does make you sound cool.......or like a newb, or like a rookie trucker.) It's OK to blip the throttle and downshift as you brake, but get comfortable relying on your front brake for several reasons. 1. It loads the chassis toward the front, heats the tire, and makes you stick, 2. It allows the rear end to respond to throttle inputmore smoothly; as in3.afront tire warmed-up from braking willrespond better through a curve (assuming you know how to brake before the curve!!) I'm not disagreeing with you, OK? I know what you're saying; you're right.